 General / 24195
Re: What set has black roof peak/gable?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:38:52 GMT

Erik Olson wrote:

Wishing for non-existent roof bits:

Related to the half-pyramid brick in function: the studless slope. Same slope
as a 2x2 slope, but without the 1x2 brick side.

Suppose you have a 2x2 brick stack chimney in the side wall, punching through a
notch in the overhanging roof. Suppose you accomodate the notch by setting one
2x2 slope with its studs inside the chimney stack (replacing a 2x2 brick with a
1x2 brick in the chimney stack.) The roof's black, the chimney is red (or
dk.gray to suggest smoke function). Now your chimney has a yucky red intrusion
that shows from one side.

Workarounds: 1. bring the chimney out one step so at least one stud rises to
the sky without being entangled in the roof notch. 2. Don't place that last
roof brick. Leave 2 studs exposed instead. 3. Put a chimney-colored slope on
top of that. 4. Stick in a half-pyramid, which doesn't look quite right.

5. Use your light-saber to split a 2x2 slope, discarding the studs side, use
that instead of the half-pyramid.

If it weren't for half-pyramid's existence, I would regard this studless wedge
as rather un-Lego-like. I think Tente made every slope like this. Thanks to
their tall stud length, it had a high lip, and didn't overlap with neighbors.
Anyway, there's no decent gripping point on such a piece--un-Lego-like. But
just try to get a half-pyramid off, or any other peak brick, when it is nestled
in.

Next episode, we discuss "when the studs on my inside corner get in the way!"
Don't miss it!

Erik,  I too have wanted some of the non-stud slopes that you described.  In
addition, I would like to see a (1x1) 1/4 pyramid piece (half of a 1/2 pyramid
piece), and a (1x1) piece that is only the sloping portion of the 2x2 inside corner
slope.

From 1958 to circa 1970, there was a sloped brick peak that is no longer in
production today.  It is a 2x2 peak, except the roof ridge is not "I" shaped, but
"L" shaped.  It was discontinued because this effect can also be done with a gable
connector, a half pyramid, and a regular peak bricks.

Gary Istok