 General / 22986
Re: How to play with Lego at work without making too much noise?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 23:13:01 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

In general, I only build the Technic kits, but the usual clinking sound becomes
pretty obvious, especially when you're looking for like a 1x2 grey plate in a
sea of grey bushings and connector pins.

First of all, minimize the need to sort. Lego parts bags have pieces that are
grouped together because they don't look alike. For instance, they usually try
to keep the #4 axles out of the same bag as the #3 and #5 axles. Use this to
your advantage and put the small parts in the large trays of the storage box so
that you have more surface area for them to spread out.

Second, open the bags and pour the pieces into the trays either before work,
during lunch, or after work.

Third, if you have the luxury of spare desk space, get a blotter, cutting mat,
or other semi-soft surface on which to stage your parts before assembly. These
parts can usually be easily covered with only a few pieces of 8.5 x 11 paper,
so if you time it right, you can usually give the appearance that you're in the
middle of reviewing important papers.

Fourth, buy your boss(es) a jingly key chain. If you hear them coming, you have
a more time to cover your work.

Fifth, consider using a drawer for Lego assembly and part storage.

Sixth, always keep a few assorted parts laying around for quick inspirational
builds. I use a candy jar with lots of ThrowBots and RoboRiders parts in it. I
actually invited my boss in one time and offered him the candy jar. I told him
it helps me to focus and be more process oriented if I take a few minutes every
once in a while to throw something together with Legos. He began fiddling with
several parts, and now is hooked himself. Now, when he DOES see parts on the
desk, so long as I am NOT actively assembling them, he doesn't give it a second
thought.

Seventh, just don't build Legos at work. They're paying you to work for them,
so you should really be doing that... hahahahaha! I almost kept a straight face
on that one... no Legos at work! Ha!

Eighth, choose smaller, quicker to assemble kits for work. Bringing in a Silver
Champion (8458) might not be the best thing. Again, Throwbots and RoboRiders
are good for this, and their parts are generally "quieter," in that there
aren't as many bricks, therefore, lower "clink" noise.

Ninth, build something company-related and keep it on diplay. A model of the
building or maybe the company logo would show that you include your work in
your personal interests and vice-versa. I built a model describing one of our
difficult to understand manufacturing processes, and it is now used in training
materials.

Tenth, build yourself a Lego desk (like Eric Harshbarger did) and then they
can't get mad at you for playing with Legos at work because it's part of your
office furniture. For those of us without Eric's stamina for building, perhaps
just a pen holder or other office supply items. Has anyone seen a Lego stapler
or tape dispenser yet? So go make one!

- Sean