 General / 22200
Re: Do these LEGO Windows exist???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:55:00 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

In lugnet.general, Gary Istok writes:
I probably should rephrase the subject heading to read: "Were these
windows ever in a LEGO set?"

The ones I am talking about are the classic windows 1x3x2 in WHITE
without the window sill at the bottom that sticks out (if they were
sold, they would be from circa 1972-80).  If you have one and you are
not sure that the sill sticks out or not, you can verify it by looking
for the two small round holes (air holes for the dies?) on the top of
the windows between the 3 studs on top (each hole has a stud on either
side).

I decided to have a looksee at my windows. All of my white 1x3x2s are the old
style. It looks to me like the little holes are for tabs on the "glass" to
insert into - in fact I'm sure of it, just looked at a 1x6x2 window with
shutters which has a loose "glass", the glass has little tabs to stick into
the holes.

Don't know if you've observed it, but I just found three styles of 1x6x2
windows with shutters.

Type 1 (based on the fact that all my CA windows are of this type) has the
glass holes between the #1 and #2 studs and the #5 and #6 studs, takes a 2x6
piece of glass, and has a projecting sill which is the full width of the space
between the shutters.

Type 2 has the holes between the #2 and #3 studs and between the #4 and #5
studs and takes a 2x4 piece of glass. It also has the full with, projecting
sill. It is a little different on the back also, the other windows have raised
areas at each end to support the ends of the 2x6 glass, this window doesn't
have those. It also has a different font for the "LEGO" in the studs.

Type 3 has the holes between the #1 and #2 studs and the #5 and #6 studs,
takes a 2x6 piece of glass, but the projecting sill is narowwer than the space
between the shutters, it is as wide as the ridges around the two window
openings.

Hmm, in my 1x6x3 windows, I have, red, white, and yellow both with and without
holes. All of my frames of this size without glass have holes, additionally
supporting the idea that the windows with holes often didn't have the glass
glued.

On another window tack, has anyone seen "glass" for the 1x4x4 frame which is
used for those rollup equipment doors? They have holes which look like they
would hold a piece of glass. I saw an eBay auction which looked like it
possibly had those frames with glass as windows, but they may have been 1x4x5
frames.

Frank

Frank,
With the 1x6x2 shuttered windows, I have a few questions.  Do your CA windows
(type1) actually have a 6x2 (LxH) glass panel?  Or do your CA windows have a 4x2
glass panel?  And with your type 3 windows (the ones without the protruding sills)
do they have the two holes on top?  Or are they without.  Because if what you say
is true, then there are actually about 6 varieties of this window.  I was only
expecting 4 varieties (the 4th being the 1957 verison which is CA and has full
studs on top (like a regular brick).

Gary Istok