 General / 22094
Re: Do these LEGO Windows exist???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:48:28 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:

I probably should rephrase the subject heading to read: "Were these
windows ever in a LEGO set?"

The ones I am talking about are the classic windows 1x3x2 in WHITE
without the window sill at the bottom that sticks out (if they were
sold, they would be from circa 1972-80).  If you have one and you are
not sure that the sill sticks out or not, you can verify it by looking
for the two small round holes (air holes for the dies?) on the top of
the windows between the 3 studs on top (each hole has a stud on either
side).  If the window has the little holes, then it is NOT the one I am
looking for.  I am looking for the windows without the little holes.
Note:  all classic windows/doors that had more than 1 stud on top had 1
or 2 small holes on the top part of the window/door from 1957-72.

But I think that the 1x3x2 white window will probably end up being the
same as the rumored 1x2x3 GRAY classic door ---- they weren't release to
the public in any set.

I am getting the final material together for the "History of Classic
Windows" story, and this one item keeps bothering me, because I have
never seen this 1x3x2 white.  My original Windows article has
disappeared from DEJA News, but that's OK, because I have learned a lot
since I did that article over a year ago, and there is a lot more
information to reveal.  I now know that with the exception of this white
1x3x2 window, all red/white classic windows/doors were released to the
public in 4 different variations from 1957-80, with the 1x2x2 window
(still in production) is now produced in the 1990's as a 5th variation.

So if anyone has one of these, please let me know.

Thanks,
Gary Istok

Alright, since no one else has come forward..... my good friend Kurt Richter
from Germany responded to me, and said that he found two of these without
the sill.  I always can count on either Kurt or Phil (Traviss of UK).  If
they don't have it, it probably was never released.  The 1x3x2 windows in
white are pretty scarce.  Kurt commented that white 1x3x2 windows (in his
collection) are rarer in ABS than in Cellulose Acetate.  I checked my
collection of these windows, and I agree with him.  Thanks Kurt!

Mystery solved!

Gary Istok