 General / 22320
Re: Do these LEGO Windows exist???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 20:59:48 GMT

Gary Istok wrote in message <39C8E8CA.3F45BE76@umich.edu>...
Hey Frank,  I know that you 've been hoarding those small yellow classic windows (1x1x1, 1x2x1,
1x1x2).  Can you give me a breakdown of the ones you have, and their type.  My population in
these is not as big as I would like (never is), but they are of enough variety to make further
study necessary.  That's where you can help (or anyone else for that matter!!!!!).

I have 16 of the 1x1x1 windows in yellow.  None have glass, nor any protruding window sills.
They are probably all from 1970's train sets, and #390, and #398 model kits.

My 2 are glassless, don't have protruding sills, but do have little bumps to hold glass in. My one white one is the same. My red
ones include 1 like that, but with glass, and one CA one w/o glass but with protruding sill, and does have the little bumps to hold
the glass in.

I have 9 of the 1x2x1 (low) windows in yellow.  All have glass, and 4 of the 9 have window sills
(these 4 are from 325 Shell sets).  The remainder are probably from 1970's train sets.

Both of mine in yellow have glass and protruding sills, the glass is held in by a tab on the glass fitting into a small hole between
the studs. The top of the finger on the bottom is slotted. My one white one has glass, non-protruding sill, slotted finger, but uses
little bumps to hold the glass in. My red ones include a bunch of CA, all but one with glass, all have protruding sills, have a hole
in the top for the nub in the glass AND have bumps on the sides, the finger is solid. I have two which are ABS w/o glass but
otherwise the same as the CA ones. I have a bunch of red ABS ones w/o glass, w/o holes, w/o protruding sill, with bumps, with
slotted finger.

I have 6 1x1x2 (tall) windows in yellow.  None of them have protruding sills (all 70's train
sets?), and only 1 has glass.  This is the window that is most baffling to me.  Did the 5
without glass have glass at one time? (All have some play wear)  Or did some trains come with
glass, some without.

I have 2 yellow w/o glass, w/o protruding sill, w/little bumps, no hole. My white ones are the same except they all have glass. My
red ones include a bunch w/glass, w/protruding sill, w/o bumps, glass looks like it's glued, one of these is CA. 4 more have no
glass, protruding sills, and bumps. The rest are all w/o glass, w/bumps, w/o protruding sill.

And since I am on a yellow window tangent, all my 1x2x2 yellow windows are without protruding
window sills, except the 4 I have from two #325 Shell Stations from 1966-70.  I am assuming that
this was not only the first year that these yellow windows were produced (actually the first
year for any yellow windows/doors), but this was probably the only set that had these "with
sills" windows (1x2x2 and also the 1x2x1).

And while you're at it Frank, please check your classic yellow doors and the 1x6x3 windows.  I
have about 35 of the doors and 8 of the windows, and I've only found 2 types for each  (with and
without holes on top by the studs -  the doors had one or none, and the large 1x6x3 windows had
two or none.  Any other variations???

I've got to run now but I see 5 types of red door (6 if you also count door knob on left or right separately, so potentially this
means 10 types), and 2 each for white (potentially 4 with door knob positions) and yellow (potentially 4 with door knob positions).

I need to get back to you on details, and on the 1x6x3 windows.

Back to the 1x6x2 shuttered windows, did you observe the thing I saw where some windows have a non-protruding sill which doesn't
extend the full width of the window? I need to try and take a picture of my windows. It seems like there might actually be 7
varieties.

Also, on all of your varieties, have you noted differences if the fingers have slots or not?

Frank