 General / 214
Re: Spam from Andreas Stabno
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 08:35:02 GMT

moz wrote in message ...

So suggest a better non-gender-specific English pronoun. I have used
s/he/it but people objected. "It" at least is relatively neutral, and
short.

I'm moving this off-topic.  So make sure you take the rest of the headers
out if you reply.

Proper English uses a masculine pronoun when there is an unknown person
involved, or requires the longer "he or she."  If the unknown person
involved must be a female, then the use of the female pronoun is correct.
The politically correct, touchy-feely, kindler, gentler, "English for
Dummies" that is evolving would allow the gender-neutral plural "they" as an
acceptable substitute for a singular pronoun of unknown gender.

Jesse

Jesse The Jolly Jingoist
Looking for answers?
Read the rec.toys.lego FAQ! http://www.multicon.de/fun/legofaq.html