 General / 242
Re: Spam from Andreas Stabno
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:52:00 GMT

Could we possibly move this topic back to another NG?  I feel that it is a rather
non-Lego subject and could be put into the off-topic.debate NG.

Matthew Miller writes:
Jesse Long <LongJR97@hotmail.com> wrote:
Proper English uses a masculine pronoun when there is an unknown person
involved, or requires the longer "he or she."  If the unknown person
involved must be a female, then the use of the female pronoun is correct.
The politically correct, touchy-feely, kindler, gentler, "English for
Dummies" that is evolving would allow the gender-neutral plural "they" as an
acceptable substitute for a singular pronoun of unknown gender.

I used to hate this. But, after taking several years of German, I feel a lot
better. Why? I realized that German 'recycles' a lot of pronouns for various
uses. For example, "sie" is "she", "they", and the formal "you". So I
figure, why not allow "they" to be recycled in this way in English?

While I think in general "politically correct" language gets ridiculous
quickly, I can see the point in the case of using "he" when really not
intending to specify gender. And the phrase "he or she" is too clumsy for
common usuage -- and gets repetitive when used in writing.

A lot of PC doublespeak has the intention of obscuring meaning. I'm opposed
to that. Using 'they' as a gender-neutral singular pronoun, however, helps
one say what one means in a concise and natural manner.