 General / 240
Re: Spam from Andreas Stabno
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 17:18:56 GMT

Thank you, Jesse!  Incorrect (but politically correct) understanding of
pronoun usage with respect to gender is one of my favorite pet peeves.  I
remember seeing my father's "Alumni/Alumnae Directory" obviously written by
someone who understands Latin even less than English.

Overuse of "myself" is my other favorite peeve--as in "this does not seem
right to myself".

-John Van

Jesse Long wrote in message ...
moz wrote in message ...

So suggest a better non-gender-specific English pronoun. I have used
s/he/it but people objected. "It" at least is relatively neutral, and
short.

I'm moving this off-topic.  So make sure you take the rest of the headers
out if you reply.

Proper English uses a masculine pronoun when there is an unknown person
involved, or requires the longer "he or she."  If the unknown person
involved must be a female, then the use of the female pronoun is correct.
The politically correct, touchy-feely, kindler, gentler, "English for
Dummies" that is evolving would allow the gender-neutral plural "they" as • an
acceptable substitute for a singular pronoun of unknown gender.

Jesse

Jesse The Jolly Jingoist
Looking for answers?
Read the rec.toys.lego FAQ! http://www.multicon.de/fun/legofaq.html