 General / 21301
21300  |  21302
Subject:
SEALUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 19:17:52 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Greetings everyone!

It's time for me to announce SEALUG, the:

SEattle Area Lego User Goup

I posted an "is anyone interested" notice a few months back in loc.us.wa,
and I received a few emails, but I've decided to get off my bricks and send
out a big ol' lugnet-wide announcement that I want to get this show on
the road.

I visited the PNLTC display this weekend and I met a few folks there and
spoke with them informally about interest in setting up SEALUG, since
PNLTC's focus is Trains (obviously ^_^ ) and I also didn't want the fine
PNLTC folks to feel like I was trying to compete with their group in any
way. Everyone there seemed interested and supportive, so I've decided
to hold an interest meeting at my house on Saturday, September 2nd.
The only AFOL I've met (excluding this last weekend) in the Seattle area
is Mark Rideout, and he was intending to visit my house next Saturday to
do some building anyway. We will likely continue our building well after
the meeting, and anyone who wants to build is welcome to stay also.

I realize that this will be on Labor Weekend, so if there aren't enough
people able to attend, I can reschedule for another later date. Heck, I
might just have a mini-meeting and still have another larger one. ^_^

Mark's house:

1) How the brick do I get there? - I have a map to my house in .pdf format
and I will be glad to email it to anyone. I live in the south part of Everett,
WA, about 25 minutes north of Seattle.

2) I have two very friendly and somewhat large dogs. If you are allergic or
afraid of dogs, please take this into consideration. They are Inside Dogs,
so the house is fairly saturated with doggie fuzz. I will do my best to try to
ensure that they behave well, but they do like to say Hello. ^_^

3) Why is it all the way up in Everett, for brick's sake? - Well, Mark Rideout
was coming up to my house anyway to do some building, and it's my
interest meeting, so I can hold it here if I wanna. ;^)  We can discuss
alternate and more centrally located meeting venues.

4) What if I want to come from out of town? - There are several
inexpensive hotels nearby. I would be happy to host someone, but I have
a very small house with a futon and no guest room, so the atmosphere
would be a bit "open" with the doggies running about, of course. ^_^

Everett info can be found here: (hope this long link works)

http://www.wa-accommodations.com/NW_html/nw_wa/NW_WA_E/nw_e
verett/nw_everett.htm

I will be happy to discuss the nearest accomodations with anyone who
needs help. There are about 5 hotels within 2 minutes of my house.

SEALUG Issues to think about:

The following are only thoughts from my own head, and all are up for
discussion/debate at the interest meeting.

1) Age Limit - this has been on everyone's lips/newsgroup lately, and I
have been doing some thinking as well. My own opinion is to make the
group open to all, with a provision that Under 18 must have
parent/guardian sign a waiver so I/We are not responsible for babysitting
anyone. Anyone who isn't capable of conducting themselves in a civil
manner will, of course, be asked to leave.

2) Dues - I would love to have a website. The domain "sealug.org" has
been reserved, but no webspace has been purchased at this time. I can't
really afford to do this alone. If enough people are interested, it would
only require a small donation/dues in order to raise enough money to set
one up. If we were to require some small amount per year of
membership, then we could afford to provide other services or
activities/tshirts/whatever.

3) Members - Anyone is welcome to be a member, regardless of
geographic location. I'll do my best to keep members in absentia
informed of issues and meetings.

If anyone has other issues we should or want to discuss, feel free to
email me and bring 'em with you to the meeting. We'll talk.

Again, even if you can't make the meeting, PUH-LEASE email me anyway
to express interest, and I'll try to reschedule a bit further out so we can get
more people there.

Thanks everyone! Hope to see you there!

~Mark

--