 General / 20560
Re: This is cool!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 05:16:18 GMT

I pass by a used toy consignment shop on my way to work three times a week.
Often, when I stop in to see what they have (and say hello since they all
know me as one of the local legohounds) I'll buy something and bring it to
work.  Usually, I'll dump on the counter and quickly peruse the pile to see
what treasures may lay in wait.  Almost all the time, the reaction I've
gotten from adults and kids is positive.  Adults usually smile and ask how
old I am, to which I reply:  "It depends on the day!"  Parents will
sometimes tell their kids to look at what I'm doing, and most of the
children seem to like it.  Some kids seem a bit taken aback that an adult is
playing with a toy, but once they get over that and realize you can "talk
shop" there's no keeping them quiet.  They LOVE to talk about kid stuff with
adults!  It's a great connection.  l even have some regular customers come
in and ask me if I've made any good finds lately.  Boy, I sure did today!  I
stopped in and there was a #1682 Space Shuttle with a perfect box,
instructions, and 99% of the pieces for only $47!  Aaaaah, every day should
be this good.

Oh, the whole adult snobbery thing.  I ignore that flat out.  Unfortunately,
some people do get uncomfortable when they're confronted with anything that
challenges the paradigm of how they see the world.  You just have to try to
open their eyes a little for them.  And if it doesn't work, eh, what have
you lost?

Dave

Huh.  I haven't gotten any of those.  I have gotten plenty of people that • don't
understand, or give the kind of condescending "oh, isn't that nice" • response.
The latter is infuriating to me, and I just stop discussing it with them • and
move on to other topics (which might mean that some of them are really • ADOLs
that I haven't taken the time to unmask).  The others usually end up • thinking
it's pretty cool, even if it isn't for them.  Sometimes they will offer me
their old childhood sets, sometimes they will tell me that they went home • and
pulled out their old sets (at which point I'll offer-usually • unsuccessfully- to
buy them) and sometimes they'll express a desire to play with my Lego a • bit.
But usually it turns out in a positive way.