 General / 20488
Re: This is cool!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:43:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Sandlin writes:

I've received a few smirks from co-workers as they've looked at my site, but
they generally think it's pretty cool what I've been able to do. As for the
"waste of time" remarks, it's no more a waste of time than people who sit on
the couch all day on weekends to watch a sports game (acceptable "adult"
behavior)... and when I'm done building, I have something to show for it.

Oh I think we would all agree its a better use of our time then TV.  I can't
tell you how little I watch TV anymore.  Every once in a while I grin and bear
it just to appease my wife but she knows I can't stand TV.  I have tried
occasionally to get her to build something out of LEGO but so far other than a
couple small sets I havn't had much luck.

In general my wife knows I hate TV so when she is watching I get to build.

I think a lot of these remarks are generated by people who are too insecure
to attempt to be different from the status quo, so they go along with what's
considered "adult" behavior. Putting down so-called "kid stuff" is part of
justifying to themselves that they're better, or something. I don't really
understand it, but I think that's basically how it works.

In general I agree.  There are a lot of hobbies out there I don't understand,
but knowing the stigma sometimes associated with my hobby I always try to show
interest when someone is explaining their hobby to me and I never critisize
someone for doing something that makes them happy.  It doesn't mean I have to
like their hobby but if it makes them happy then more power to them.

At any rate, I do what I enjoy, and if someone think's it's stupid, I really
don't give a brick.

Ditto.  I spent to much time worrying about doing what was cool when I was
growing up.  I for one am far beyond that now and could care less what others
think about my hobbies.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/