 General / 19851
Re: More on Lego becoming a household name? Brand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 21:36:47 GMT

I think Lego is well on its way towards meeting its goal.  I'll bet that if you
ask almost any parent if they know what Legos are they'll say yes.  I think the
same could be said for most kids but they have to make the kids want the sets.
I'd like to see Lego put out more generally available train sets.  These would
appeal to kids on two fronts 1 - they're Legos and 2 - they're trains.  Trains
have a strong appeal for many kids.  I'd also like to see them create a new
town line that lets you create a whole town, police station, fire station,
hospital, school, stores, library, park, houses, buses, cars and trucks.  While
each set can stand on its own, its even more fun as you add to your town.
This could lead to kids wanting to get additional sets to add to their
collection and expand their town.  Most sets today don't have any direct
relationship to each other, yeah they're the same general theme but they
weren't designed to work together.  BTW these should NOT be town jr. and the
buildings should be more substantial than recent offerings, ie not mostly just
an almost all window facade.

I don't know if this is any indication of their public recognition, but in the
past month I've seen Legos mentioned in a Simpsons episode (a rerun - homer
built a big four pronged Lego fork so he could eat off of everyone else's plate
at once)and I've seen them in the background for an Oppenheimer Funds
commercial (dad and kid were playing with them as Oppenheimer plugged its
funds).

Regards,
Matt