 General / 19846
19845  |  19847
Subject:
More on Lego becoming a household name? Brand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 21:01:28 GMT

To complement this string, the latest press releases from the LEGO Company
state...

"...By the year 2005, the company wants the LEGO brand to be the strongest in
the world among families with children."

This should indeed be an achievable goal, as the LEGO group of companies has
several new theme parks being proposed, a relationship underway to produce
books, more gaming and educational software forthcoming and a new emphasis on
licensing and clothing.

Among the family brands they are likely competing against are entities such as
McDonalds, Sesame Street(CTW), Oshkosh, etc.  If you think about it, how many
brands are REALLY that strong in the family catgeory?  Brands like Fisher
Price, Mattel, Hasbro, Little Tikes and even Wizards of the Coast may not be
as well known as you think.

Because the LEGO Group is focusing a lot on emerging and popular media, you
are likely to begin seeing them just about everywhere you go.  The only family
oriented category they seem to lack-in is breakfast foods.  How about LEGO
cereal or LEGO toaster treats?

LEGO is positioned well as their product has a very long life span, is capable
of bridging the generation gap and is an excellent play value.

In recent times, the LEGO Group seems to be making agressive, strategic moves
towards their goal.  Yesterday's 'Harry Potter' announcement is just one
example.

I think it's great that the LEGO Company has a long term goal of this nature
and that they are speaking publicly about it.  This should greatly benefit
LEGO fans and our brick loving community.

These, of course, are my opinions...
Ashley Glennon