 General / 17896
Re: Old LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 13:59:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Here are a few websites that I go to for old LEGO inspiration:

Old LEGO cars (wow, what a collection) from some Swedish collector, whose name I do
not know.  Click on "LEGOBILAR", and you can view about 100 different cars &
trucks.  Also there are a lot of old trees, bushes, LEGO cyclists and the rare
policemen set.

http://www.torget.se/users/h/humlan23/

Another great website of old LEGO cars, trucks and other old items is by Gerry
Cohen.  His collection includes some of the rare boxes that the cars and trucks
originally came in.  Gerald's website also contains an example of the rare (and
unique to Britain and their commonwealth countries that carried LEGO) ESSO sign and
pumps (be sure to click on ACCESSORIES).  They are shown with the more common ESSO
examples used in USA/Canada and continental Europe.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/9414/

These two great LEGO websites are worth a bookmark each!

Gary Istok

Jim Hughes wrote:

In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:

I have been thinking about this topic for a very long time.  My take on this • is
that in lugnet.general, the most people will be exposed to the history behind
LEGO.  If we were to make say a lugnet.history, or a lugnet.classic, perhaps a • lot
of people will miss the topics.  I know that there are a lot of other areas of
LUGNET that I rarely venture to.

The one area I agree on is pictures.  We do need to get more pictures into it.
Until now, I have been extensively referencing other websites, such as Horst
Lehner's and Joe Lauher/Bill Katz Catalog websites.  But there are plenty of
others.

What you really need is a detailed description of each set. I have done this
for all of the Technic sets (~250 to date), and it makes for a rather large
site:

http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/index/index.html

but I am sure that there is enough interest for a project like this (I am very
intrested!) and I'll bet that there is collectively enough information to get
nearly everything. I am currently scanning all of my old 60's stuff (which
admittedly is not all that much)

John makes another valid point.  The old sets (50's and 60's) are not pictured • very
well in the old catalogs.  This is especially true of early European catalogs.

Here are some of the things I think we need, and a LUGNET location is ideal:

1) a pictorial history of the old 1950's & 1960's parts packs.  These are
(pictorially) very beautiful boxes.  I have 19 different, but I know there are
more.  Today's parts packs are very uninspiring polybags compared to the • beautiful
artwork of the 1956-65 timeframe.

All current lego packaging is uninspired compared to the 50-60's illustrations

2) a pictorial history of old 1950's & 1960's regular sets, and when • applicable,
the parts list (these were included in early sets, instructions were on the • box
only).

3) a complete catalog reference site, that has USA/Canada, German, UK, Danish,
Swedish, and all other European catalogs from the early era (1956-1972).  This
should include TLC and Samsonite LEGO catalogs.

4) a Town Plan History.  Before there was Train, Technic and all other • systems,
there was the Town Plan (1957-65).  I have the old/new Town Plan boards, as • well as
the resources to build all 9 different Town Plan city scapes.  I would like to
build and photograph/document all the different Town Plan layouts, from the
earliest 1957 layout to the later USA/Canada and UK variations.  And talk • about
some of the specialty pieces (old oil drums from the Danish Esso Service, the
Cyclists/Motorcyclists in the European Town Plans, the very rare Policemen set • from
the early European era that somehow never got listed in any period catalogs, • and
the old trees & shrubs, road signs, street lamps, and Esso Signage/Pumps that • were
the mainstay of the Town Plan).

Scan all of the pieces!