 General / 17877
Re: Old LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 22:52:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:

I have been thinking about this topic for a very long time.  My take on this • is
that in lugnet.general, the most people will be exposed to the history behind
LEGO.  If we were to make say a lugnet.history, or a lugnet.classic, perhaps a • lot
of people will miss the topics.  I know that there are a lot of other areas of
LUGNET that I rarely venture to.

The one area I agree on is pictures.  We do need to get more pictures into it.
Until now, I have been extensively referencing other websites, such as Horst
Lehner's and Joe Lauher/Bill Katz Catalog websites.  But there are plenty of
others.

What you really need is a detailed description of each set. I have done this
for all of the Technic sets (~250 to date), and it makes for a rather large
site:

http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/index/index.html

but I am sure that there is enough interest for a project like this (I am very
intrested!) and I'll bet that there is collectively enough information to get
nearly everything. I am currently scanning all of my old 60's stuff (which
admittedly is not all that much)

John makes another valid point.  The old sets (50's and 60's) are not pictured • very
well in the old catalogs.  This is especially true of early European catalogs.

Here are some of the things I think we need, and a LUGNET location is ideal:

1) a pictorial history of the old 1950's & 1960's parts packs.  These are
(pictorially) very beautiful boxes.  I have 19 different, but I know there are
more.  Today's parts packs are very uninspiring polybags compared to the • beautiful
artwork of the 1956-65 timeframe.

All current lego packaging is uninspired compared to the 50-60's illustrations

2) a pictorial history of old 1950's & 1960's regular sets, and when • applicable,
the parts list (these were included in early sets, instructions were on the • box
only).

3) a complete catalog reference site, that has USA/Canada, German, UK, Danish,
Swedish, and all other European catalogs from the early era (1956-1972).  This
should include TLC and Samsonite LEGO catalogs.

4) a Town Plan History.  Before there was Train, Technic and all other • systems,
there was the Town Plan (1957-65).  I have the old/new Town Plan boards, as • well as
the resources to build all 9 different Town Plan city scapes.  I would like to
build and photograph/document all the different Town Plan layouts, from the
earliest 1957 layout to the later USA/Canada and UK variations.  And talk • about
some of the specialty pieces (old oil drums from the Danish Esso Service, the
Cyclists/Motorcyclists in the European Town Plans, the very rare Policemen set • from
the early European era that somehow never got listed in any period catalogs, • and
the old trees & shrubs, road signs, street lamps, and Esso Signage/Pumps that • were
the mainstay of the Town Plan).

Scan all of the pieces!