 General / 17366
Re: Lost Instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 03:06:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
When I phoned LA, I was told that LEGO rad no problems with current set
instructions on the web. Kevin, on the other hand, doesn't include them on
his page, as the ability to get the instructions on-line may stop people
buying the current sets [after all, why buy a set if you already have the
parts/don't see any parts in the instructions to make it worth buying]

[At least that's what I thought the reason was]

Benjamin Whytcross

That begs the question: why not? Why aren't there any
instructions for newer
sets? Is it a legal problem or have people just not scanned
any? Why am I
asking? sheer curiosity.....

From where I am sitting, it does not matter what reasons Kevin Loch has for not
posting instructions of current sets.  Brickshelf is maintained privately and
the operator may do whatever he wishes.  It may be within TLC Fair Play Policy
to allow current set instructions to be made public by private individuals, but
if Kevin does not want to do, then that should be the end of the disucssion.
However, the discussions keep arising every so often.

Kevin has told us repeatedly that his policy of not posting instructions for
currently-available sets is not something he is ready to change.  I am okay
with that.  It may inconvenience me sometimes, but I am okay with it.  On the
larger scale, I am very thankful that someone like Kevin Loch has taken the
time, effort, and expense to post a very comprehensive and high quality archive
of past Lego set instructions and catalogs.  Why he does it and what rules or
limits he sets for himself is his business.

Brickshelf is all we have right now for searching old set instructions and
catalogs.  What would we all do if this site did not exist at all and no one
else cared to do what Kevin has done???

__Kevin Salm__