 General / 1550
Re: Shadows in your pics (was Re: Page update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:32:22 GMT

Sproaticus wrote in message <367EACF8.670829BA@geocities.com>...

I have this problem when I take pics - which is why I haven't shown too
many on my Web site.  Does anyone have any tips on watching out for the
shadows? (1)

Shadows are caused by your flash going off (but you already
knew that, right)

There are a number of solutions to the problem.

1. Aim your flash to the ceiling to "diffuse" the light. This won't
work on most point-and-shoot digital cameras.

2. Buy a pro quality slave flash unit (which wll be fooled by the
red-eye inhibiting flash and it costs a fortune)

3. Illuminate your subject from both sides using halogen desk lamps,
which is OK for small things like LEGO, but bad for ice-cream....

I use (3) the most, and even fill-in the shadows from the flood lamps
using the flash!!!

Keep snapping, if you are using a digital camera, it's all free!!!

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

The train stops at the train station,
The bus stops at the bus station,