 General / 1557
Re: Shadows in your pics (was Re: Page update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 23:09:54 GMT

Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Jeff Stembel wrote:
Very nice.  Some of the pictures have large shadows, though.

I have this problem when I take pics - which is why I haven't shown too
many on my Web site.  Does anyone have any tips on watching out for the
shadows?
Here's a big tip: increase the distance between the subject and the background.
Unless you want to pick up detail from the background and the subject at the
same time, it's not important for the background to be in focus, so it can be
far away, giving you softer shadows if any. I saw your "Sometimes a ninja,
sometimes a samurai" shot and I noticed that right away.

Also, try a light blue cotton sheet for a backdrop. With the exception of
transparent pieces, TLG doesn't use this color. You can mask it out easily
later on and it's semi-reflective.

I had written up a thing about lighting, but if you've seen my page, you'd
probably say that I didn't practice what I preached, which would be true: but
only because I was lazy when I shot my pix. :)  If you want to know what I
wrote, ask, and I'll post some more. It's not a short post though... Or email
me at the spam-blocked address below. I took a course in television set
lighting in college, and I actually still remember some things.

From Tom McDonald
Anti-spam block in place.
http://mbr-hobby.neotown.com/radiotitan/lego/lego.html
radiotitan@SpamThisjuno.com
--
Do what you can, but behave yourself.

We'll have more, or not, right after this.