 General / 14343
Re: Help Me......
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 00:22:30 GMT

my cry of help. Brace yourselves my good ladies and gentlemen, for I fear I
have no imagination. Can anyone help me to recapture that elusive childhood
freedom of the mind??? It scares me, truly it does.........I can remember when
it would rain on the weekend and I would do nothing but sit for hours creating
wondrous vehicles, naming my mini-figs and basically setting the scene for
epic struggles of good and evil.........but now there is nothing.......I buy
sets that I like, build them, leave them together for a few days and pull them
apart........and thats it.......so please people of lugnet......open your
flood gates of creativity and save me......

I find that when creativity stoppers up, it's not a matter of lack. The
"stoppered up" part is the key. The more you can "unlearn", and the more
you can get rid of the "shoulds" that we tend to rack up, the more you
can return to a child's ability always see things with a fresh face.

To unlearn doesn't mean to "unknow". The more we know, the more we have
to draw upon, as the many great suggestions you've received for source
material show. To unlearn is to realize that creativity is *not* in the
domain of knowledge and the mind. Rather, creativity uses these as
source material and tools. To unlearn is to remember that creativity
does *not* depend on knowledge. Not to lose what we have, but to
acknowledge what we have, and feel no obligation to use it or not use
it. No "shoulds"!

Then lego engine blocks gleam and roar. Minifigs run along bumpy ground
to help friends with a wall on the verge of collapse. Steering wheels
spin and a car door swings open as a racer takes a sharp curve doing 40
kph (kilopips per hour). And cavalry race over pillow hills and across
the plaid countryside to aid a castle under siege.

Thinking comes after creating. Stop thinking first if you want to start
creating. Then you can think again.

Adam

bwappo@ee.net