 General / 13285
Re: Help Me......
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 16:53:53 GMT

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Richard Schuit wrote:

Brace yourselves my good ladies and gentlemen, for I fear I
have no imagination. Can anyone help me to recapture that elusive childhood
freedom of the mind???

Probably not, but I can tell you what I do.

First thing, I put all my LEGO in front of me (and around me, and behind
me) in easy reach.  Then I think about what I want to build.  For me, as a
trainhead, I've got a lot of options ready-made.  Actually, I usually
think, "Hmm, I'd like to make a train."  Then I start putting pieces
together in a vague shape that looks something like what I'm trying to
accomplish.  Then I think, "I could make that look better if I..." and I
start pulling more pieces and changing things, then my husband asks me to
come help with dinner and I don't get back to it for a week.

The problem is coming up with stuff you want to build.

The solution to that is to look around you, in your daily life, and see
what there is that inspires you.  Is there a particularly beautiful
building or monument in your town that you'd like to duplicate?  Do you
like certain cars (I'm a Model T fan myself)?  Want to make a train?

I also do photo-reference for some of my stuff.  I has my sister (a
photograper) go out and take pictures of a building I wanted to created,
then I used the photos to try to make something identical.  I quickly
learned that selective compression works well in LEGO, and also makes a
train station much easier to carry to and from shows.

-Laura