 General / 12869
  Re: Conversation at TRU overheard

---...--- In article <386C4D25.44310EA7@w....att.net>, Mookie <Mookie1@worldnet.att.net> wrote: (snip) (...) Of course, and when the child passes the upper age range, I take the LEGO away from the screaming young person... ;) Rob (24 years ago, 1-Jun-99, to lugnet.general)

  Conversation at TRU overheard

I was standing in TRU today... and there's a woman with her 2 kids, a boy just about to turn 7 and a girl probably 10 or 11.. The boy had some money to spend and wanted to get some Lego, He was looking over the shelf.. and pulling out sets he (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Conversation at TRU overheard

(...) I answer speaking of toys in general, not just sets... Yes and no. When my kids were much younger, of the age where they could choke on things or get trapped in them or strangled, etc., I gave much more credence to age ranges, especially the (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Conversation at TRU overheard

(...) Not all but some. I've seen some parents think that their kid is just going to be crushed if they can't make the set on the box especially when the age range says that they can't. So they nudge their kid toward another set, never thinking that (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Conversation at TRU overheard

I'm sure glad my parents didn't pick my toys that way -- I was thoroughly hooked on town system Lego at age 4, space followed soon afterwards (and castle when it came out a bit later). -- Paul Davidson Mookie <Mookie1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Conversation at TRU overheard

(...) That is disgusting! I let my son pick what he wants, and I help him build (at his request--honest!). Age never comes into question, except that we may have to save some of my older sets for later, due to difficulty. At least introduce it and (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.general)

Mookie wrote in message <386C4D25.44310EA7@w...tt.net>... (...) I had a similar experience at Zany-Brainy just before Christmas although it was with a grandmother buying a present for one of her grandchildren (who was not with her). Her grandson (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Conversation at TRU overheard

Thanks everyone for your reply! So it seems most of us go by the childs abilities.. that's what I wanted/needed to hear, I guess I was just a little upset after the fact at how this woman stunted the child... it still makes me mad when I think about (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Conversation at TRU overheard

(...) Hmm. Maybe that's the real reason for juniorization -- kids (and parents) want the impressive big sets, (most) kids don't really want to spend that much time building. So LEGO makes big sets with fewer, bigger parts. That doesn't explain the (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Conversation at TRU overheard

(...) My son built the 8448 he got for his 10th Bday in a day and a half. Now he can't be pried away from the Mindstorms we..., er Santa got him for Christmas. Just thought I'd chime in as it seemed like bragging about your kid time:-) -John (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Conversation at TRU overheard

Well, I'd brag about my kid, but *I* am my kid... ;-) I can't wait to get my 3rd 8448 from TRU, so I can build the Racer - the main car and the Hot Rod are STAYING built (and the main model is getting RISed), and the Racer probably will too. I'll (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Conversation at TRU overheard

(...) I don't consider the age range on the box much. I sometimes think that toy companies are playing a game of putting high ages on the boxes so that parents will think that their kids are geniuses when the play with something labeled 7 to 10 when (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)