 General / 10250
Re: LEGOLAND Buildings....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:12:34 GMT

Thanks Joe!!

I saw your LEGO Window Tracery page.  That was one that I printed a copy of a few months ago, and then was unable to get back to the
website.  So it is you!  I thought your idea for LEGO Cathedral Windows was GREAT!!!   I am using that approach (modified slightly to
fit within the frame of a larger window made of two 1x4x5 (rare) red half arches.  I am "collaring" the 45 degree turned tracery window
within a 3 stud thick wall.  The middle stud area is hollow, and the window slides right in snuggly.

Only 4 windows in my Cathedral will have this type of bar tracery, the Great East Window and Great West Window, as well as the North
and South Transept windows. I'm using the nomenclature from the largest surviving medieval English Cathedral, YORK MINSTER, the
inspiration for my Cathedral ... along with Canterbury, Paris, and Rheims.  The problems with a Chevet and radiating ambulatory (in
laymen's term - the curved flying buttressed end of French Cathedrals) are such that I decided on the easy way out - build in the
English style, where the east end of the cathedral (farthest from the entrance) is squared, instead of rounded.  And instead of a group
of tall thin windows that bow out, I've opted for the Great East Window concept found at York, Exeter, Gloucester and Winchester
Cathedrals.

Anyway Joe - thanks for the idea!!

Gary Istok

Joseph Garlicki wrote:

Kevin Wilson wrote:

Lawrence Wilkes wrote:
I am trying hard to remember what other Cathedrals there are at >Windsor. Seem to remember ones from Paris, and Mont st michel.

Yes, Mont St Michel and Sacre Coeur, I believe. For pic of Sacre Coeur,
see here (bottom picture on the page):
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kwilson_tccs/france.htm

Mont St.-Michel is in the background of some the above pictures. The cathedral on top of this island is half Romanesque and half
Gothic. I'd love to see a close up detail of how they made the buttresses and windows for the Gothic portion. Another picture of
Mont St.-Michel can be found on Huw Millington's web page at:
http://194.131.104.225/~huw/lego/reference/legoland/large/01.html

-Joe-
http://www.pitt.edu/~jlgst56/lego/lego.html

P.S.
My Gothic Cathedral III is still in the works. I have a foundation and some windows built, but it will probably be next year before
I do any serious constructing. The cathedral will have the same general form as my Gothic Cathedral II - only a bit larger and with
much better details (including tracery and a 5-sided chevet).