 General / 10111
10110  |  10112
Subject:
LEGOLAND Buildings....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 20:19:39 GMT

I was looking at my copy of THE ULTIMATE LEGO BOOK, which is a glorified
book on the LEGO Model Builders, and what they've created for the
LEGOLANDs, and 2 questions came to mind.

1)  Why are there no LEGOLAND Cathedral's?  At least not in the Gothic
sense (with Flying Buttresses, pinnacles, etc).  I've seen a few LEGO
Churches, but no Cathedrals.  There are a lot of AFOLs (myself included)
who have built some pretty neat Cathedrals.  But I don't remember ever
seeing one in the LEGOLAND scale.  Hmmmm.

2)  This is not a question, but a general comment.  I got a 1957 Danish
service pack from a man in Denmark recently.  It was #1223, and had the
macaroni bricks, but in 4 different types.  One type was just like the
macaroni (quarter circle) bricks of today, but without that missing
piece of plastic on the lower outside edge of the piece (that allows you
to connect it to a baseplate).  This piece was discontinued in 1957.
That is too bad.

Whenever I look at LEGOLAND buildings (such as the US Capitol), all
columns are made of cylinders of macaroni bricks.  Unfortunately these
have a "Swiss Cheese" look to them with all those holes showing.  That
is kind of unsightly.  It detracts from the large models.  Too bad TLG
didn't continue to make at least some of these macaroni bricks without
the missing notches.  They would certainly have improved the look of the
buildings.  Ditto for the newer 4x4 quarter circle bricks.  Some of
these should have been without those 2 missing notches of plastic as
well.

Getting off my soapbox now,

Gary Istok