 Gaming / 663
Re: First post and LEGO wargaming questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 16:21:11 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Thomas Mitchell writes:

I will have roughly 3x as many figs as him, to account for his
advantage of being behind a wall.

That sounds like a good start, definitely.

   I've got a few questions for all of you who have used minifigs in a
tabletop war game.  First, has anyone even attempted this sort of scenario
(i.e., a siege)?

Shaun Sullivan and I attempted something similar (unbalanced forces), although
we just had a surprise factor (ie, one side was campd for the night and had to
scramble to weapons and vehicles).

What were your reactions after playing such a scenario?

We thought it balanced out nicely.  It really helps the fun, though, if you
don't get too wrapped up in trying to balance everything perfectly, because it
can be really difficult to place a point value on being entrenched.

Second, in a larger scale battle such as this, would you recommend a
squad-based implementation to move the game along, or an individual-based
implementation to provide more accuracy for each individual minifig?  I'm
leaning towards individual-based, but if anyone has any experience with
either way, please comment on pros and cons.

I personally like individual scaling, although there are some ideas about
platoon-level movement posted recently by Mike Rayhawk in this article:

http://news.lugnet.com/fun/gaming/?n=661

Lastly, what's a siege without
siege engines?!?!  Does anyone have any pictures of their creations?  I'm
thinking of battering rams and large "boarding towers" on wheels.  Any
thoughts?

Shaun Sullivan created an awesome ballistae and an even more awesome siege
tower for the NELUG Medieval BrikWars game, although they didn't get used.  I'm
surprised we haven't seen more pictures of them (although I'm pretty guilty,
since I took a lot of pictures that day of the battle itself).  Perhaps with
some encouragement, we can get him to crawl out of whatever hole he's been
hiding in and post photos and writeups of them....

   I thank everyone for any input they could provide.

One thing I'd really suggest is that if you are new to BrikWars, avoid the
temptation to use the SP rules in their current form to create a wizard.  Stick
to the simple troops.

eric