 Fabuland / 419
Re: a wandering mind . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fabuland
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:25:38 GMT

In lugnet.fabuland, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes:
In lugnet.fabuland, Sybrand Bonsma writes:

My preferences would be an owl, (Monty) moose, (Simon) squirrel, kangaroo and
also a rhinoceros would be nice. I think the necks of the giraffe and ostrich
would be to long to make a nice head.

I don't think of Fabuland figures as being that based in reality.  Where else
but Fabuland might one find a Rabbit and an Elephant pretty much the same • size?
However, with a giraffe and an ostrich, a main part of what defines them is a
long neck, so maybe it can't be made so light of.  With a Rabbit one thinks of
the distinctive ears.  This also holds true of an Elephant.  Of course with an
Elephant, one also has the trunk as a distinctive feature, but it is a
distinctive "head" feature...
A Rhinoceros would fit in very well.
but , I don't want a Unicorn.
A name for a Rhinoceros, hmmmm...

My problem with the giraffe and the ostrich is that there indeed has to be some
neck.  It doesn't have to be too large, but it should be visible. The giraffe
might still be recognisable without neck by using a yellow color and brown
spots.

The only thoughts I had about a winery consisted of the grapevines in rows and
an oversized half barrel with the characters stomping on the grapes - a
happy, party like festival astmosphere.

That's sounds like a good idea. For some reason the party of Blibo Ballings
from 'Lord of the Rings' comes now to my mind. Many people having a party
outside with trees around them and decorations.

Another idea was a half-burned house. Not really nice for kids, but I'm still
wondering why there are that many firemen in Fabuland when there is no fire.
There are also many policemen, but almost no docters. Strange place, Fabuland.

The iceskating ring might become difficult if the figures
have to wear skates (stability), but in one of the Fabuland video's they are
skating. A winter scenario might however, be possible. Fabuland houses with
white roof :)

a white roof?  It could still be done by TLC.  They do have the roof element • in
the Mickey  Mouse sets but,  I think the MM sets  are gone now too.  A good • try
by TLC, but somehow they never really caught on.  However, I am leary of
children playing with so much syndicated character stuff.  I prefer the more
generic approach.

I agree, the Mickey Mouse sets had only three characters Mickey, Minnie and
Pluto. Children will run out of stories very fast with these three. I still
think that the theme might have run better if more charcters were added, like
Donald Duck, Daisy, Uncle Scrooge, Goofy, etc. But even more general characters
like in Fabuland would have even been better.

Another idea of mine is a church or a college building or a palace.

I too think of Fabuland as "Town", "Town" of the very best sort.

More musicians are nice, especially guitarists and saxiphonist. A plumber • would
be cool. What about a car racer (with goggles like the pilots)? A butcher,
vegetables, shoemaker, pizza delivery.

I like all your suggestions but the Butcher.  I have always found  the wall
unit in 3675 disturbing.  It has at the bottom a picture of a ham for sale.
Fabuland has a lot of Pigs.  Somehow, in a sweet little world like Fabuland, i
don't want to see evidence of animals killing and eating each other.  This • just
represents my own particular bias and lifestyle choice...  As a Town theme a
Butcher and shop does make sense.

I agree again. I've put in the butcher because in almost every town there is
one, and therfore very reckognisable for children. However, as Fabuland is
populated by animals, the butcher will have troubles to get meat in a 'good'
way. As said before I always had problems with the large amount of policemen, I
just cannot think of Fabuland figures harming each other.

Also I have the feeling that LEGO went out of
ideas during the last years of Fabuland. Many amusentment park/playground • sets
and a couple of school sets.

yes, I think you are right.  A simplified town targeted for a young child • only
has a limited number of visually interesting set ideas.  Most were covered-
police and  fire stations, hospital, airport, markets, gas stations, school,
play grounds, ice cream shoppe, bakery, hotel, windmill, and paddlewheel boat.
I guess we are lucky to have as much as we have...

as always I appreciate your insights,
regards,
sheree

It is true that many set ideas were covered by LEGO already. However, as most
sets were only produced for 3 years and every couple of years the target
audience is renewed many set ideas could have been made again. Partly this is
done. There are a number of police and firestations, three gas stations and 2
schools. After the last sets had been made another hotel, bakery and so on
would have been just fine. In this way the series could have lasted for many
more years.

Greetings,

Sybrand