 Fabuland / 396
Re: a wandering mind . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fabuland
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:05:05 GMT

In lugnet.fabuland, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes:
Suppose more Fabuland figures were designed but never went into production
before the line was discontinued.  Many possibilities come to mind. . .
Owl
Moose
Squirrel
Frog
Kangaroo
Giraffe
Ostrich
Playing along with the fantasy, which of the above seem the most likely?
Which would you desire the most?  [any particular names for these characters?]
Other ideas/comments?

My preferences would be an owl, (Monty) moose, (Simon) squirrel, kangaroo and
also a rhinoceros would be nice. I think the necks of the giraffe and ostrich
would be to long to make a nice head. Also a tiger might be nice, but I wander
how much the difference between the cat, lion and tiger would be. A gorilla
(the current monkeys are more like chimps imo) would also be nice.

Suppose there were more sets too.  Big sets...  what could they have been?
bobsled run
iceskating rink or riverside skating
bowling
bungee jumping
rainforest treehouse community
"jetsonish" cloud communituies
a winery
an observatory
Which of the above seem the most likely?
Which would you desire the most?
Other ideas/comments?

A winery doesn't really fit with the main target of Fabuland, I think. Although
the set itself might look really nice (Brown bins for the wine, jars in
different colors). The iceskating ring might become difficult if the figures
have to wear skates (stability), but in one of the Fabuland video's they are
skating. A winter scenario might however, be possible. Fabuland houses with
white roof :)
Another idea of mine is a church or a college building or a palace.

What professions could/should have been added?
tailor
plumber
tap dancer
ballerina
more musicians-
violinist
pianist
guitarist
saxiphonist
other ideas/comments?

More musicians are nice, especially guitarists and saxiphonist. A plumber would
be cool. What about a car racer (with goggles like the pilots)? A butcher,
vegetables, shoemaker, pizza delivery.

[already represented: teacher, student, fireman, policeman,
trickster/criminal?, doctor, patient, car mechanic, gas station attendant,
storekeeper, hotel operator, mayor, miller, baker, photographer, housewife,
babysitter, fisherman, boat/ferry captain, sailor, mailman, chauffer, taxicab
driver, pilot, air traffic controler, bricklayer, carpenter, truck driver,
actor, farmer, gardener, acrobat, fair operator, flower seller/grower, fruit
seller, ice cream vender, musicians- drummer, accordian player, tuba player,
garbageman, painter, campers, cook, bus driver, dreamer ...and i am sure i • have
missed several..and they are?]

What accessories could have been added?
TV
sewing machine
claw foot bath tub
food! pineapple, grapes, cheese
table lamp
violin with bow
piano
guitar
saxiphone
other ideas/comments?

All look very nice

and drumroll... what new HATS?????
tophat
beret
sombrero
chef hat
bowler
sun bonnet
other ideas/comments?

dreaming on...
Would you prefer, as an AFOL, that the Fabuland figures be the same scale as
present day minifigures?*   [why or why not]
If they were do you think they or the Fabuland line would still be in
production today?

I wouldn't prefer to have them in the same scale as minifigs. Because the scale
is different, Fabuland has its unique character. If they would have the same
scale as minifigs, they would have been mixed immediately, and the special
character would have been lost very soon I think.
From my point of view I think the theme would have even shorter lived if the
characters were minifig-scale. Also I have the feeling that LEGO went out of
ideas during the last years of Fabuland. Many amusentment park/playground sets
and a couple of school sets.

Greetings,

Sybrand

*phrasing the question this way to try and get past child safety issues, and
what i suppose to be the original intention of TLC to have a transition line
between Duplo and System- size and contentwise.