 Fabuland / 409
Re: a wandering mind . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fabuland
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:49:27 GMT

In lugnet.fabuland, Ken Dowd writes:
Good to see some new posts in .Fabuland. I started adding this theme to my
collection last summer.

An Owl, Moose and Frog would be great.
I would also like to see:
Rhinoceros
Wolf (could also be used for some breeds of dog)
Badger
Tiger
Reindeer

Suppose there were more sets too.  Big sets...  what could they have been?
bobsled run
iceskating rink or riverside skating
bowling
bungee jumping
rainforest treehouse community
"jetsonish" cloud communituies
a winery
an observatory
Which of the above seem the most likely?
Which would you desire the most?
Other ideas/comments?

The Iceskating Rink and Rainforest Treehouse sound like a good Fabuland fit.
How about Fabuland goes to the Renaissance Faire? I could see the lion
dressed as a King and the Hippo as a princess with maiden's hat.

Sounds wonderful to me! Minus the hats, this could be built now?

[stage setting , me on a soapbox...]
I guess one of the things I want to say/convey to everyone is that as
builders we can take Fabuland anywhere we want.  Anywhere! While there will
be no new Fabuland figures, no new Fabuland sets from TLC, we do not have to
let this limit our imaginations.  Create/build our own versions.  Have no
inhibitions on mixing elements of different themes and scale to achieve
desired results.  Fabuland is only truely gone if we let it be...

Fabuland vehicles:
Ice Cream Truck
Hot Air Balloon
Push Train (Sheree, are you the one who made the Fabuland Train MOC awhile
back?).

I built a Fabulandish style train once upon a time, which with massive
amounts of advice and parts from NCLUG, it eventually went electric.

What professions could/should have been added?
tailor
plumber
tap dancer
ballerina
more musicians-
violinist
pianist
guitarist
saxiphonist
other ideas/comments?

Musicians with their musical instruments are some of my favorites.
me too!

What accessories could have been added?
TV
sewing machine
claw foot bath tub
food! pineapple, grapes, cheese
table lamp
violin with bow
piano
guitar
saxiphone
other ideas/comments?

Accessories are great. Can't think of any at the moment but I like all your
suggestions.

and drumroll... what new HATS?????
tophat
beret
sombrero
chef hat
bowler
sun bonnet
other ideas/comments?

A Fedora

dreaming on...
Would you prefer, as an AFOL, that the Fabuland figures be the same scale as
present day minifigures?*   [why or why not]

As an AFOL, I would prefer that the Fabuland figures be made like the
werewolf fig in the Studio Monsters line (animal head that fits over a
minifig head), but as you note below, that wouldn't fly because of safety
issues for the intended age range.

I have very mixed feelings about this.  I love the hard plastic pivoting
head of the Fabuland figure. I like the feet especially too.

If they were do you think they or the Fabuland line would still be in
production today?

No. Simply because most themes from the Fabuland period aren't in production
today. Castle, Pirates, Space are gone and Town is on life support (thank
goodness for Legends).

I think you are exactly right about this.  I hadn't thought of it this way
before... I have a  "not knowing what one has 'til its gone" sort of
feeling... sigh...

*phrasing the question this way to try and get past child safety issues, and
what i suppose to be the original intention of TLC to have a transition line
between Duplo and System- size and contentwise.

If LEGO wants a line to bridge Explore and System, I wish they would ditch
Jack Stone (which is marketed for boys) and bring back a Fabuland style
theme (which could appeal to both boys and girls). A Fabuland Fairytale
subtheme would be cool (3 little pigs, goldilocks and 3 bears, etc.)

This could be built with existing charcters.  make it so?

Or how
about children's classics? I would love to see The Wind in the Willows: Mr.
Toad, Mole, Rat, Badger and the stoats and weasels. Toad Hall. Toad's wagon
and motorcar. Ratty's riverside house. Etc.

Much could be done with existing Fab and system elements.  The exact
characters are a bit problematic, but I am sure someone with sufficient
desire could come up with something ...

I am afraid however, that any future Fabuland style themes will be like the
more recent Pooh and Mickey Mouse sets.

yep...

Ken

I really don't have any specific expectations of TLC.  They make quality
elements and I will continue to scavenge from new sets and old sets and part
lots to build what I want as best I can.  It is in the making do that my
creativity and imagination are ultimately engaged.   I just want to have
fun.  Trying to influence a worldwide corp. well, not in my  list of fun
activities.  I appauld and thank those who are willing and have  taken on
this task.

sheree