 Events / BrickFest / 7
6  |  8
Subject:
schedule talk...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:02:39 GMT

...So this is a time to bring it up... You've listed the basic things on the
"schedule"... but what else do we add/who volunteers to do a talk?

(most of this post is incoherent free associating... just babbling to see what
ideas come out... feel free to comment on them or ignore them as you see fit)

...Also, what room do we have? Do we get the upstairs rooms this year and can we
lock them? If attendance jumps much at all, we should consider moving some of
the more popular things to the 2nd floor to encourage movement between the
floors so that even the smaller side items will benefit (like the k-8 box :-)

...We need to think of things to do and people to run them. One prob last year
was we had lots of things on the schedule, but for a while, no one to
champion/run them/drag in people to attend. That will be less of a problem this
year with people wanting to do things, but we will still need someone to get it
going.

Talks and discussions:

...We've heard from Tim who wants to do a ldraw thing. Perhaps a "Get to know
ldraw" talk like last year and maybe some "hands on" tinkering or demonstrations
by ldraw artists showing off the "inner workings" of their ldraw designs.

...Frank has pirates all day every day :-) but maybe he can do a couple of 1 hr
"Pirates 101".

...The animation demo was a _big_ hit, and the follow up afterwards with a kind
of hands on workshop went over well. This year it may be its own track with the
number of new animators we have... We should also schedule some evening time to
watch the animation videos or maybe just set up a TV/tape dealie in that little
room off the cafeteria or maybe a room upstairs with the animation submissions
running all the time.
...Can we get Jason to coordinate this and get some submissions set to tape for
us?

...Tom's train DCC conversion talk was also very popular and I hope we can get
him to do it again.

Maybe we can do talks in the cafeteria, and move "workshops" upstairs to
classrooms? That way some of the more involved workshops (like potentially the
ldraw and animation ones) can just go as long as they want without interfering
with anyone else.

Games and events:

...The soccer elimination game went over well last year, so that should be
something to put up there.

...Maybe a building race... everyone starts with the same small set (maybe the
red playset bucket) and has 15 minutes to build whatever they can... winner
judged by contestants...

...We really need someone to run the MOC judging this year. I think as part of
the "attendee's packet" everyone should get a "vote card" for the MOC contest
(and maybe another one for the k-8 MOC contest).

...We've talked about a bigger train layout this time as well as the historical
display. Unfortunately, I think they may be relegated to the same room again,
but we can move the K-8 out to the sitting area so the train layout can be much
nicer.

...Mindstorms! Lots of people asked, but no one brought their bots or things to
display... I'm hoping this will change this year.

...thats all for now... :-)
---
wubwub
wubwub@wildlink.com