 Events / BrickFest / 170
  Radar Detectors prohibited in Virginia?

Is it true that Radar Detectors are prohibited in Virginia? I just heard that from a friend of mine at the office. Might be some helpful information to note for those of us driving to the fest. jt (23 years ago, 12-Jun-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: Radar Detectors prohibited in Virginia?

(...) Not in Virginia OR going to BrickFest, but this might help: (URL) (Self-Proclaimed LUGNET King of Citing Stuff ©) (23 years ago, 12-Jun-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: Radar Detectors prohibited in Virginia?

(...) (URL) it's from a lawyer, no less (Of course the first one was from an ex-cop, so draw your own conclusions). Matt (23 years ago, 12-Jun-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

"James J. Trobaugh" <james@ngltc.org> wrote in message news:GEu0sI.BBq@lugnet.com... (...) information (...) It is absolutely true. When you cross the state line from NC (assuming you are coming from the south) there will be big signs telling that (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jun-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: Radar Detectors prohibited in Virginia?

Ok, I'll make sure to put mine away in the trunk before I cross the state line. Most of the time I find the best radar detector is someone traveling just a bit faster than me. I try to find one of those and stay with in eye sight of them. jt -- (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jun-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: Radar Detectors in Virginia - Watch your speed too!

You should definitely watch your speed on VA's interstates. The limit is 65 mph, and the troopers are much stricter than in most states, especially in work zones. They can be pretty tricky hiding and there are radar spots every single mile on the (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jun-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: Radar Detectors in Virginia - Watch your speed too!

The Virginia State Police take their revenue generation function very seriously. Also, like most states the Virginia selective road tax is statistically higher for out of state drivers. (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jun-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

"James J. Trobaugh" <james@ngltc.org> wrote in message news:GEuHw1.588@lugnet.com... (...) James - since you are traveling up from Atlanta I assume you will take I-85 to I-95. It has been my experience (I travel the same route to go to Fairfax (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jun-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: Radar Detectors in Virginia - Watch your speed too!

Ok this brings up a question, in Georgia the "unspoken" rule of thumb is as long as you don't go more than 11 mph over the limit you're ok, sounds like it's not the same in some of the Carolinas and Virginia....is that what I'm to understand? If so (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jun-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: Radar Detectors in Virginia - Watch your speed too!

(...) It all depends. Once you get past Fredericksburg and you start to get near the Potomac Mills outlet mall(where the LEGO Outlet store is) and then all the way into DC the speed limit drops from 65mph to 55mph on I-95. I-95 is littered with (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jun-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: Radar Detectors prohibited in Virginia?

For anyone traveling to Brickfest via I-81 in Virginia, the VA State Police have been targeting that road a lot in the past few years because of a high number of speed-related accidents that occur there. I got my last ticket there. 71 mph in a 65 (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jun-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: Radar Detectors prohibited in Virginia?

(...) Beware the I95 corridor from Richmond to DC. Speed may be checked from aircraft, so you can be tagged long before you see any sign of police on the ground. jk (23 years ago, 20-Jun-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: Radar Detectors in Virginia - Watch your speed too!

As a chronic leadfoot and Virginia resident, let me pitch in my advice. Most of I-64 and I-95 have 65mph speed limits and I assume the other highways are similar. Where it isn't 65 mph, the speed limit is 55 mph. In general the flow of traffic in (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest)