 Events / BrickFest / 179
Re: Radar Detectors in Virginia - Watch your speed too!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 05:12:38 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, James Trobaugh writes:
Ok this brings up a question, in Georgia the "unspoken" rule of thumb is as
long as you don't go more than 11 mph over the limit you're ok, sounds like
it's not the same in some of the Carolinas and Virginia....is that what I'm
to understand? If so I guess I better add a few hours to my expected travel
time. I was estimating about 8.5 hours for the 620 mile trip @ 74mph ,
that's taking bio-brakes and other stops into consideration. Sounds like I
need to plan more like 10 hours due to the differing opinions of what
constitutes a safe and courteous highway speed of our more northern law
enforcement officials in "Dixie". hmmmm...looks like I might have to get up
around 4am to start my journey.

jt

--
James J. Trobaugh

It all depends.  Once you get past Fredericksburg and you start to get near
the Potomac Mills outlet mall(where the LEGO Outlet store is) and then all
the way into DC the speed limit drops from 65mph to 55mph on I-95.  I-95 is
littered with state troopers but the flow of trafic keeps on at a very brisk
pace and if you're not careful you'll find yourself going 85mph just to keep
up.  People go that fast and they *know* the troopers are out there, so you
just never know when or who they're going to ticket.  Just don't make a
target of yourself and you should be fine.  The troopers do seem to like
hanging out in those "Service Vehicles Only" places, and they just love it
there on the weekends.  If you see a little white sign on the left side of
the road, check your speed.  Oh yeah, wear your seatbelt at all times and
don't have anything hanging from your rear-view mirror, those sorts of
things can turn a speeding ticket into multiple offenses giving Johnny Law
some major jollies.

~Nathan
AKA Safety Lad