 Events / 7
Re: For Kidvention -- What is LUGNET?!?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 22:48:21 GMT

What is LUGNET?!?!

LUGNET is like many 'portal' sites. People with a common interest coming
together on a daily basis to swap ideas, information, and positive thoughts
about Lego.

* What's the attraction?  Why do people show up?

Why do people show up at ZDnet?  Or CNN? Or http://www.apple.com/quicktime/ ?
Quite simply, because it interests them. They aren't the 'be-all-end-all' of
coolness, but for what they do, they do it quite well. LUGNET does all this and
is quite cool, to boot.

* Why do more people stay than leave?

Hmmm....because the ones that leave are too busy to stay? That's the best I can
come up with.

* What do people get out of LUGNET and their online experiences?

Inspiration, a sense of comradery, the opportunity to NOT grow up, the feelings
we had back in school when we all showed off what we just painted (wrote, etc.).

* What are the best 3 things about LUGNET?

The set database, the people who post the sales they find, and the 'Cool LEGO
site of the week'

* What are the best 10 things about LUGNET?
The set database, the people who post the sales they find, and the 'Cool LEGO
site of the week', playing with castle freaks, and 6 other things I can't think
of right now because I'm pressed for time.

* Why should anyone who's never heard of LUGNET check it out?

Because I said so. 'nuff said?

* Why was LUGNET created?

Necessity is the mother of invention. The internet created the need, and Todd
and Suzanne filled it.

* Why do people organize unofficial LEGO events?

Because as nice as online comradery is, it isn't face-to-face contact with
people with similar interests. This will always be the downfall of the internet
(except where LAN parties are concerned).

* Why do people form and join LEGO user groups and clubs?

Heh. I could say 'To spend time away from out NLSOs', but if my wife ever
figured out what a NLSO was, I'd be a dead man. ;-)

I guess the answer would be: To find others with a similar interest living
nearby who you can swap ideas with. The added searching and buying power of a
group doesn't hurt either.

* Why do people want to talk to other people about LEGO?

Why do others wish to talk about poetry or art? To express themselves in the
best way they know how to do so. With us, it takes a brick (or many, as the case
may be).

* What are people missing if they never go online?

Quite simply, new ideas. Six months ago, I would have never considered building
mechs out of Lego. Now, I'm poised to build the largest fully articulated mech
ever posted. Castleworld inspired my M-tron Commandos. And my Mandalorian dragon
brigade.... whoa. Stop now before I give it away.

Those who don't join us in this fantastic forum miss out on seeing what others
can do with your ideas as well as gaining insight for your own creations.
Meeting people in person does this to an even greater degree. The advantage
LUGNET gives us in meeting others is the ability to bridge the distance gap.

-Dave
http://surf.to/mtron
Home of the M-tron Commandos