 Events / 690
Re: What kinds of LEGO-based conventions do you want?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:33:32 GMT

"John Barnes" <barnes@sensors.com> writes:
BricksWest was a long trip for me, I live in upstate NY. I attended because
my primary interest was in meeting other AFOLs and see their work first hand.

I did not enjoy the fact that most of the people and their MOCs were in
seperate locations most of the time. I found that trying to spilt the event
between a hotel conference room and a tent in the park was only marginally
acceptable. I do understand that I may be in the minority in that I have no
interest in showing off stuff to the public at large in an attempt to
recruit AFOLs in S. Cal as this is a lost cause for me since I live 1000s
miles away.

If BricksWest, for example, is to be even more park oriented this year, then
it will not have the appeal that a more "closed" type event has for me.

Well, in order to host it at the park at all, it would have to be open
to the public at least to some extent - otherwise, what's in it for
the park?  It's good publicity for LEGO to be able to show to their
visitors extraordinary models built by ordinary people using their
product.  But to have a conference behind closed doors doesn't benefit
them.  So I'm sure that BricksWest will have to have a significant
public element, as long as LegoLand is involved.

NWBrickCon is a different story, since Seattle Center doesn't have the
same interest in LEGO that LegoLand does.  However, I bet the cost
would be higher without the public viewing, because it is still a way
for Seattle Center to draw in the public who will then buy at the
shops and such that are there.

Also, I think it's really cool to be a part of a very large LEGO show.
Those of you in the big train clubs already get this locally, but for
some of us it is novel.  Also it's nice to be able to have people from
all over the country/world in the show, not just the locals.

--Bill.

                      Verbing weirds language.  --Calvin