 Dear LEGO / 5552 (-10)
  Building inequality one sexist stereotype at a time

I've read with interest the "Building equality one female minifig at a time" thread started by CL Janey. There's some interesting discussion there, though I do wonder if there isn't a motive not quite as noble as building equality in the solutions (...) (17 years ago, 2-Jul-07, to lugnet.dear-lego, FTX)

  Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.

Great points Janey, and nice to see some interesting and friendly debate here on Lugnet. I think there are two related issues here: One is whether LEGO, as a company (and quite frankly a cultural institution in certain parts of the world), has a (...) (17 years ago, 1-Jul-07, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.

(...) Surely we fans have lamented about this before, but like all classic topics, it is worthy of bringing up again every now and then so newer members of the community can share their thoughts. I also feel you presented yourself well, and the (...) (17 years ago, 1-Jul-07, to lugnet.dear-lego, FTX)

  Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.

(...) You missed one, but I'm not entirely sure being included in the only $500 set ever produced will really help her stats that much... (...) Ah, but one of those sets includes the other, less expensive set, making her presence in the smaller set (...) (17 years ago, 29-Jun-07, to lugnet.dear-lego, FTX)

  Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.

(...) I did something similar, but went more towards the classic Batgirl design. Catwoman's body and head (yellow-corrected, of course), Batman's cape and cowl, and one of the gold batsymbols from the Arkham sticker sheet (with the black border very (...) (17 years ago, 29-Jun-07, to lugnet.dear-lego, FTX)

  Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.

Hey, I highly agree. In my own theme-of-choice, castle, we get about one female fig for every 50 male figs. Of course, part of that is due to the over-emphasis on action and conflict, where most castle figs are knights and soldiers (traditionally (...) (17 years ago, 29-Jun-07, to lugnet.dear-lego, FTX)

  Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.

(...) Just a thought to add on that point; The cost of a few discarded figs is minuscule if it means more girls are buying lego sets. Imagine the profit to be made if both genders could share the fun of system. Profit... cha-ching. (17 years ago, 28-Jun-07, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.

(...) in the meantime you can go "virtual" ;-) (URL) more can be found at: (URL) bye, w. (17 years ago, 28-Jun-07, to lugnet.dear-lego, FTX)

  Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.

(...) the problem solved. :-) (17 years ago, 28-Jun-07, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Building equality one female minifig at a time.

(...) LOL! You reveal your own ABS sexism by assuming that the woman would have to be decapitated! Why not yank off the man's head instead? Or why not include a headless body with the pair of heads alongside? Dave! (17 years ago, 28-Jun-07, to lugnet.dear-lego, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact