 Dear LEGO / 3871
Re: Bring back the old
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 03:21:08 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Scott E. Sanburn writes:
Lindsay & All,

  Unfortunately, Futuron might not be quite "classic" enough for the
  demand (although I wouldn't mind seeing them too).  But the Classic
  spaceman--albeit with a newer-style helmet, I'd imagine--has no unique
  parts and in fact only *one* printing to recover (and even that's not
  a full-torso print, and it's only two-color).  So I'd bet they could
  make a packet with a Legends Classic Spaceman pack.

Well, I was chuckling at myself when I wrote this, I doubt any classic
spacemen will come to life again. More of a wish than anything. That is what
Dear LEGO is for. : )

   Actually, I've gotta disagree on that one.  Maybe I'm just a hopeless
   optimist (wait, isn't that contradictory?), but the "Classic" spaceman
   is so very classic that I think it would find a wide audience even
   among those who don't collect anymore.  Certainly I think they'd sell
   lots more of those than Breezeway Cafés, which would surely put them into
   Legends-able range.  The fact that they were produced with only minor
   improvements to the fig for seven or eight years only stands to improve
   their appeal as nostalgia or collectible items.

   So I don't think it's at all beyond the realm of possibility.  It's even
   more likely if 928, 924, or 918 (the ULTIMATE space classics!) is re-
   released!  (I keep thinking of this with the Yellow Castle in mind too--
   but that old-style helmet is a persistent problem.)

  A great idea!  Now, if we could get Futuron packs, great--but I'd
  love the following available in packs:

  *Classic Space Assortment $6.99 (5 figs: red, white, blue, black, gold)
  *Classic Firemen $6.99 (5 figs: 4 classic w/ white helmet, one chief)
  *Classic Blacktron/Futuron $7.99 (basically a re-release of set 6703)
        http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6703
  *Classic Pirate $6.99 (5 figs, basically a re-release of 6251).

  Others?

  (I'd happily pay $8 for the packs, really.)

10 actually isn't too bad either, but I won't hold my breath.

   Not for you or me, but something about that second digit might scare
   casual buyers.  $8 seems like a good price point for 5 figs, IMHO.
   They can even polybag it and I'd be happy.  :D

   best

   LFB