 Dear LEGO / 2590
Re: Enough with the microphones
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 01:04:04 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Doug Dropeskey writes:
Dear LEGO,

Please stop putting microphones on minifig heads.  The Alpha Team sets have
some of the best minifig faces I have ever seen but I will not buy a single
one because of those damned mics.  Please either design a mic part or do
away with them entirely in all lines, forever.   Legos are great because
they are interchangeable--Star Wars sets becomes fodder for a castles.
Castle sets get used for spacecraft.  Town sets are incorporated into
submarines.  Every set is just a pile of parts for whatever you want to
build.  But the minifig faces are different--the second you paint on that
mic I can no longer use that face for a castle or ninja or even Adventurers
minifig.  Frankly, I do not want them on my space minifigs either (way too
low tech).

While I am at it, one more comment:  not so many years ago I used to
regularly complain in RTL that you did not produce enough female faces.
Since then you have made very good progress--one female in Spaceport, two
female Adventurers, one female Ninja, one female Racer, two females in
Castle, two females in Star Wars, one female in Rock Raiders, and now two
females in Alpha Team.  I may be forgetting a few (and Leia and Padme may be
the same), but even so, that is *tremendous* progress from four years ago
(when maybe three female faces had ever existed) and I truly appreciate it.
But of those 12 new female minifig faces, *FOUR* have microphones.  ARGH!

In summation, please try to make new minifig faces generic enough that they
can cross over into as many themes as possible.  This obviously does not
apply to mummies and droids and things of that nature, but for 'people' it
would really help those of us who like to build up variety in our minifig
populations.  You will generate more sales that way too, obviously.

I agree with your pleas to LEGO. I think that Lego can either increase minifigs
by putting Microphones on Minifigs that need microphones in that set.
For instance: Jet from Rockraiders needed a microphone in the Rock Raiders
Minifigs set for communication, but in the bigger sets she is in, she does not
need a mic because there should be a radio in a large set. So my point is, Lego
can do that, or they could do another idea I have been thinking of that many
people in this thread suggested. A detachable microphone. It could be done.
If anyone has noticed, in most recent Shop at Home catalogs, the customer
service minifig (she looks like a cool babe with VERY COOL blue eyes and a
black ponytail) has an detachable mic. That is a sign that unstationary head
accessories are possible. I think that Lego would get more kicks if this idea
was supported and produced.

P.S.( If I had to go out with a minifig, it would definitely be the Shop at
Home Operator with gorgeous blue eyes! )
What do you guys think of her?