 Database / Brictionary / 88
Re: What words describe the Lego elements?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 13:21:09 GMT

In lugnet.db.brictionary, Bill Bourn writes:
   One of the tasks of the bricktionary is to allow the
identification of an in-hand Lego element.  The user would supply
various descriptor words based on what he sees of the object in front
of him.  What might then happen is a sort of expert system series of
questions by the B'ary to narrow the possibilities of identification.

   So, other than color, how *could* people identify a Lego element?
Please bear in mind that saying that a piece comes from such and such
a Lego set or is used in some Lego theme or other only works for the
Lego-savvy folks.  I mean questions like:  what shape is it?  How big?
How many studs on top?

   What else can you think of?  Remember, the descriptions made by a
neophyte or a child might make the clearest and sharpest distinctions
among the myriad Lego elements.

   Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Bill Bourn

I had also thought about this subject. One of the names that also should appear
in the Lepanadat project is some sort of systematic name. This would allow
people to find a picture of the piece and the various names for the piece.

I had a few ideas that might be the start for a systematic name:
- Number of studs of a piece
     (a tile would be in the same categorie as many minifig tools,
      a 2x2 45 degree slope would be in the same categorie as a 1x2 brick, etc)
- Outer dimensions (in brick units for example)
     (plates and tiles would be in the same category,
      a 2x2 brick would be in the same category as the 2x2 45 degree slope,
      etc)

Shape isn't very useful in my opinion. Of course, there are many normal
elements (slopes, tiles, bricks, plates), but there are also many elements that
are hard to group, because they have a very specific shape.

Greetings,

Sybrand Bonsma