 Database / Brictionary / 91
Re: What words describe the Lego elements?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 20:00:07 GMT

Mike Poindexter wrote:

After thinking about this a lot, I think we need a nomenclature that is
similar to the binomial nomenclature that they use for animals.

Respectfully disagree. Animals are all related (1), and the
nomenclature, driven by the Linnaeus classification system, reflects
that relationship. Lego elements, except in limited cases, are not
related to each other by derivation or evolution. Instead they share
aspects or attributes.

These could
be coupled to a standard name, such as lupus wilus, aka Wiley Coyote.  The
technical name would allow people to go down a tree of options that break
the monstrous element list into manageable chunks.  This would also allow
people to do a search for "macaroni" and find the item in question.  Also,
similar pieces would be close on the "family tree" of elements.  This would
be based on function of the piece.  Multi-function pieces become the problem
here.

Indeed. And most pieces are multi function. The hardest thing about
using the LDraw family of tools is grokking where to find the parts.

Of course, there are some slight problems, such as technic wheels.  Do they
go under wheels or under technic?

And this is a perfect example of why a tree isn't the right approach. A
technic wheel has the technic nature and it has the wheel nature. Any
database that holds it must take that into account. Todd has
pontificated on this at length before, including introducing the notion
of fuzzy relationships and percentage weighted links to capture this. It
might be good to review some of that thinking before embarking on a big
development project, as I think a hierarchichal DB or even a relational
DB might be poor implementation choices unless the metadata was very
carefully thought out.

Sorry for pontificating as well but you pushed a hot button.

1 - or if you are a creationist, they classify successfully AS IF they
were related, whether they actually are or not can be considered by you
to be an open question without distracting from the success of A
Linnaeus's(2) work at organising fauna and flora.

2 - no doubt I incorrectly spelled the poor man's name...
--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!