 Database / Brictionary / 98
Re: What words describe the Lego elements?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 01:22:37 GMT

Bill Bourn <bbourn@mail1.nai.net> wrote:

   So, other than color, how *could* people identify a Lego element?
Please bear in mind that saying that a piece comes from such and such
a Lego set or is used in some Lego theme or other only works for the
Lego-savvy folks.  I mean questions like:  what shape is it?  How big?
How many studs on top?

   From the discussion so far, I can tell that some of us may be
confusing a classification system with being able to identify a Lego
element.  In the perfect database, the inquiry about a piece would not
need to know *anything* about how the data are organized to get a
correct response.  Hence, any thoughts about how the database should
be organized must be kept separate from how the pieces are to be
specified by the user of the database.
   Of course, at the same time there should be no penalty during piece
lookup for the experienced user who already knows a lot about Lego
elements.

   What else can you think of?  Remember, the descriptions made by a
neophyte or a child might make the clearest and sharpest distinctions
among the myriad Lego elements.

    I have posted my description screen on my newest website.  Please
check this URL for the picture.  It will avoid having to post the
binary in this group.
    http://pages.cthome.net/BillBourn/Lego_descriptions.html

   When I have an MDE version of the Access database to post there,
I'll let y'all know.  Meanwhile, please try to extend my list of
descriptive words that could serve to identify Lego elements.

Thanks.
billb.