 Database / Brictionary / 84
  What words describe the Lego elements?

One of the tasks of the bricktionary is to allow the identification of an in-hand Lego element. The user would supply various descriptor words based on what he sees of the object in front of him. What might then happen is a sort of expert system (...) (24 years ago, 2-Feb-00, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: What words describe the Lego elements?

(...) A common piece of information, that many neophytes could supply: "How much does it hurt when you step on the piece barefoot?" Steve (24 years ago, 2-Feb-00, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: What words describe the Lego elements?

(...) Or "How good a missile is it to throw at my kid brother?" Both are hard to quantify, don't you think? I'm sure neither question will be asked by my version of the brictionary. I do have a small JPG file of the MS Access display of (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: What words describe the Lego elements?

(...) I had also thought about this subject. One of the names that also should appear in the Lepanadat project is some sort of systematic name. This would allow people to find a picture of the piece and the various names for the piece. I had a few (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: What words describe the Lego elements?

After thinking about this a lot, I think we need a nomenclature that is similar to the binomial nomenclature that they use for animals. These could be coupled to a standard name, such as lupus wilus, aka Wiley Coyote. The technical name would allow (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: What words describe the Lego elements?

(...) Respectfully disagree. Animals are all related (1), and the nomenclature, driven by the Linnaeus classification system, reflects that relationship. Lego elements, except in limited cases, are not related to each other by derivation or (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: What words describe the Lego elements?

(...) Nope, "Linnaeus" is spelled correctly. However if the "A" above refers to his first name that's wrong, his first name is Carolus. If not, nevermind. -Chris (24 years ago, 5-Feb-00, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: What words describe the Lego elements?

(...) It was... 2 letters off is less than 10% margin of error, which is good enough when you're estimating. :-) Are you sure there isn't an umlaut or AE joined or something in his last name? :-) (24 years ago, 5-Feb-00, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: What words describe the Lego elements?

(...) From the discussion so far, I can tell that some of us may be confusing a classification system with being able to identify a Lego element. In the perfect database, the inquiry about a piece would not need to know *anything* about how the data (...) (24 years ago, 9-Feb-00, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: What words describe the Lego elements?

(...) went in and updated the description parameters to include a count of holes in the piece. So if you see the page before I've updated the page with a new image, just pretend there's a hole-count category, OK? Thanks again. Billb. (24 years ago, 9-Feb-00, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message news:389C782A.9F4529...ger.net... Are you sure you're not getting too nitpicky? <gdr> Some people don't even know how to insert umlauts, AE characters and whatever else can't be typed normally, (...) (24 years ago, 28-Jun-00, to lugnet.db.brictionary)