 Color / 58
Re: Brown Bricks - Wood or Chocolate?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 04:26:36 GMT

In lugnet.color, Ross Crawford wrote:
In fact most trees have bark that changes colour over time, so will appear
different colours during the year. Even sawn timber changes colour if
exposed to the weather, eventually turning to grey!

I think that might depend both on the wood and the specifics of the weather.
Cedar chests are used as non-skanky means of keeping moths from getting at
valuable clothes (cedar smells infinitely more pleasant than moth-balls), but in
order for it to work, the interior has to be raw cedar with no preservative
treatments.  It doesn't turn grey like unfinished wood left outside, which makes
me think that a lot of that comes from UV damage.

(bley???).

Nope.  Even purpleheart, the wood that looks purple when freshly cut, fades into
a shade of tan after a few weeks of exposure to air.  Wood always fades to a
more organic grey (um, like true-light-grey).

And most other timber (furniture, houses etc) is finished anyway and is the
colour of the finish, not the wood.

It depends on the finish.  A lot of people like using polyurethane (dries fast,
low maintenance, and UV resistant), which doesn't really do much to change the
natural color of the wood, barring whatever you'd previously done to it with
stains and such.

Again, trees that don't shed complete layers of bark will have sections with
different colours. I've seen eucalyptus trees with 5 distinct colours of
bark at one time!

I don't ever recall noticing a major difference in surface bark color, though I
do remember one of the local trees had surface bark that tended to split and
peel at the edges, but it wouldn't actually shed, per se.  My brother and I,
being kids, were caught "helping it along" once or twice, and we got yelled at
for it every time, but I do remember the smooth bark under the curled chunks was
always an orangy light brown (perhaps part of the reason why I don't have a
problem seeing.