 Color / 97
Re: Brown Bricks - Wood or Chocolate?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 23:57:49 GMT

In lugnet.color, Alfred Speredelozzi wrote:
Its not so much like wood, as like dirt.  IMHO.

You've got some strange dirt.  Around here it's nearly black.

Its brown.  Honestly, I can barely tell the difference.  I was upset for
awhile until at a club meeting where we thought it was odd that they used
old brown in the X-Pods.  Of course they hadn't, we just couldn't tell the
difference.

I've noticed that with light-bley and reddish-brown, it's easy to mistake them
when they're not next to the old colors.  Even if they're held a few feet apart,
it's still pretty tough with incandescent lighting.  Dark-bley is easy to tell
even when it's the only LEGO piece in the room.

I think the main reason for changing brown is for representing brown-colored
people.  (I was going to say African-American, but then why would they have
to American at all?)

Why would they have to be African, for that matter?  A while back I believe I
commented on the fact that all of the indigenous people from the first two
Orient Expedition sets are all yellow minifigs, and noone had ever griped about
it the way they would have if Lando had been released in yellow.

The old brown was plainly too dark for printing, and the new brown gives a
nice contrast to the black ink printed on it.

Yeah, old brown doesn't work very well with black printing, but I really hope
that's not the sole reason why they changed the color for everything.  They
could have used a lighter contrasting color of ink, or they could have made a
"skin-tone brown" just for use on minifigs (I seriously hope the pink flesh-tone
never makes the jump to regular bricks).