 Color / 18
Re: Brown Bricks - Wood or Chocolate?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 23:35:58 GMT

In lugnet.color, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.color, Mark Bellis wrote:
Q1. Is the old brown like wood?

It depends on the wood.  Wood comes in many different colors, so it's a bit hard
to qualify one shade of brown as "woodlike" and another as "not woodlike".
Heck, there's even a species of tree that has a distinct purple shade that fades
over time as it's exposed to air.  Tan is a decent approximation of many basic
types of milled lumber, such as oak, but most trees that I've seen in person
have a much darker shade of bark than old brown (except birch trees, of course).

In fact most trees have bark that changes colour over time, so will appear
different colours during the year. Even sawn timber changes colour if exposed to
the weather, eventually turning to grey! (bley???).

And most other timber (furniture, houses etc) is finished anyway and is the
colour of the finish, not the wood.

Q3. Are chocolate coloured trees feasible or not?

As long as all of the brown pieces in a single tree (preferably in an entire
"species" of tree) remain consistant, it shouldn't ever be the problem that
everyone seems to think it will be.  Not like dark-bley hair and dogs.

Again, trees that don't shed complete layers of bark will have sections with
different colours. I've seen eucalyptus trees with 5 distinct colours of bark at
one time!

Q4. Are there enough everyday objects in chocolate brown to make building
with it feasible?

Again, reddish-brown isn't an entirely objectionable color in its own regard,
like dark-bley is (at least they didn't make it bluish-brown), so most of the
problem with the introduction of this specific color is that it throws color
consistancy out the window.  Dark-bley seems to receive the most objections,
followed by light-bley, reddish-brown,

Maybe that should be bred?????

When it comes down to it, you pays your money and takes your choice. People had
no problem using the old brown for chocolate, I see no problem using the new
brown for wood.

ROSCO