 Color / 59
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 03:42:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
* A certain few parts that are crucial to keep in the old colors will likely
be created as service pack type items. An example of this would be the 9v
train track. I am interested in getting feedback from you (via this thread) on
which elements MUST be produced in the old colors for the long term. (And no,
you can’t say "the whole range of parts!" :) )

First off I would like to cast my vote for keeping the 48X48 baseplates and
train track in their original shades of gray.  I think that these 2 items are
the most "crucial to keep in the old colors."  Many of us would also like to
know if these 2 items have actually been made in the new shades yet, or if they
have been "kept pure."

Something that pertains to the bulk packs of new colors, that I don't remember
anyone else mentioning, is that bulk packs of the new colors need to have NEW
SET NUMBERS AND NAMES.  This will keep someone from ordering a bulk pack with
the old set number and then getting a pack with the new colors.  Lots of AFOL's
would be pretty upset if that happened to them.  For instance, if LEGO starts
making the 48X48 baseplate in the new gray, then the set's number should be
something besides 628.

I believe that it would also be a good idea for LEGO to do some post-color
change surveys.  LEGO researchers could show random kids some old sets and some
new ones.  They could then ask the kids what they like best about each set.  If
kids say that "better colors" are something that they like about new sets, then
LEGO can tell us "Nya-na-nya-na, we told you so," (but with more tact since Jake
will most likely be the one telling us.)  If kids don't mention the colors at
all, then LEGO would know that they made a mistake in changing the colors.

Many of us would also like to know if the caucasian-tone skin colors are going
to be universal/locked like the new colors.  The new skin tones make a little
sense for the Harry Potter sets, since English people have rather pale and
pastey skin anyway.  (My appologies to our UK friends; if you saw how pale I
myself am, you'd know I'm just kidding.)  However, it doesn't really look good
on the minifigs.  We realize that the new skin tone makes several minifigs more
realistic, but LEGO is one of those toys that's *supposed* to have a cartoony
kind of surreal atmosphere to it (at least I think so).  If we wanted more
realistic toys, we'd all be making HO model train layouts with real trees, real
rocks and everything to scale.