 Color / 57
Re: Reasons for the color change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 19:04:30 GMT

In lugnet.color, James Wilson wrote:
   In lugnet.color, John Barnes wrote:
   I just had a thought ....

What if someone in TLG came up with the bright idea of putting a mixed bunch of Lego bricks and clone bricks in a big heap and invited kids to build with them. Perhaps such a test would leave a disproportionate number of the old grey, old dark grey and old brown behind.

snip

The other flaw in the argument (besides the one you mentioned) is that if LEGO gave mixed clone and LEGO elements to my 8-year-old son and his friends, the clones would quickly get tossed aside because they don’t fit as well as LEGO. My son received a clone “castle” set as a party favor (pretty neat presentation - it came in a metal tin) and got frustrated very quickly because the pieces were either too tight or too loose. So I think color would quickly become less important than whether the parts fit.

On this I must agree, even as the rabid-clone fan I am. Aside from being heavily juniorized, many of the Dragons elements are made in such a way that they require a herculean effort to get them to snap together, but not nearly so much force to get them to fall apart. Not sure why that is, exactly.

On the other hand, the actual “brick” elements of the Dragons sets fit together pretty nicely.

Dave!