 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2174
Re: Reasons for the color change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 19:25:46 GMT

In lugnet.color, Dave Schuler wrote:
   On this I must agree, even as the rabid-clone fan I am. Aside from being heavily juniorized, many of the Dragons elements are made in such a way that they require a herculean effort to get them to snap together, but not nearly so much force to get them to fall apart. Not sure why that is, exactly.

It takes a lot of effort to draw a crossbow, but not much effort to release it. If the geometry isn’t properly designed, there could be a lot of potential force stored in the connection itself that is just waiting to help pop the pieces apart with a little help getting started. I’ve noticed that LEGO studs have a slight flare at the top, and I’m betting the brick and plate undersides have a matching inner flare at the bottom. When you insert the stud into the brick, it should nestle into that flare, which will help hold it in. With that flare giving you extra grip, you don’t have to rely on a pinching effect to hold pieces together, so there’s less resistance to fight against. If the two parts have parallel sides on their binding surfaces, the only thing that will make them grip each other is that pinch effect, which is caused by making the one part deform to the other. When your exterior walls bow out, they flare open, which doesn’t grip as well. To offset the weak grip, you have to increase the difference in size to get more “pinch”, and that’s probably where you get your mismatched connect/disconnect difficulties.