 Color / 280
Re: Color Change background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 22:34:05 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.color, Todd Lehman wrote:
Of course, what we call classic "dark gray" is actually a rather warm gray
(which looks perfectly fine with all the LEGO colors).  The Scala light
gray is also a warm gray.  The medium classic gray (what we've always just
called "gray") is the only really neutral gray that LEGO has ever had, to
the best of my knowledge.

--Todd

Having a background in colour science, I feel qualified to comment.
Most colour systems for artists (like Pantone) recognise the need for
neutral, cool and warm greys. I can understand the reasons why TLC
does not want to present us with a richer palette of greys, so that
is not an option here. OK, so why change the greys at all?

The old dark grey matches most other Lego colours pretty well,
except one: the old light grey. This used to bother me slightly,
but the old dark grey was quite versatile, and I had come to terms
with the fact that it wasn't really grey, or at least not neutral
grey.

The new light and dark greys, on the other hand, match nothing
except themselves. (They do look really good together, though.)

The move from a neutral light grey plus a warm dark grey to a cool
light grey and a likewise cool dark grey indeed does some good to
the palette from a purely technical standpoint, in terms of grey
scale balance, but grey scale balance is *not* the biggest issue
with Lego creations, which mostly use a very varied palette.
Grey scale balance becomes an issue when you have many shades of
grey, but with only two shades, the bigger issue is how well they
match the other colours. I am not an artist, but I feel qualified
to say that even theoretically speaking, the new cool greys are
not a good match with the other colours of the Lego palette, which
are mostly warm and bright by design.
Hardly any other Lego colour is "cool" in terms of colour appearance.
Even the white is slightly yellowish and warm, and this is something
I have come to like and expect with Lego.

Keeping the old light grey and changing the dark grey to a more
neutral shade would have made sense to me, both technically and
artistically. Changing both to cool greys is a move I have a big
problem understanding. The fact that I don't like it does not even
have to enter the equation, even though that is what makes me
write this.

  Stefan G