 Color / 253
Re: Color Change background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 04:42:24 GMT

In lugnet.color, Alfred Speredelozzi wrote:

Sure, this would tell me if I liked it.  So, this method is highly opinion
based.  I honestly don't know how much stock to put in it, but there is a real
theory of color that artists use when discussing this thing.

I beleive that most AFOLs who are complaining (myself included) are complaining
becuase it looks different not because we have any added knowledge of color
theory.

While I am not qualified to discuss color thoery, as I am neither an artist nor
versed in that field, I am qualified to discuss people's reaction to changes.
(Psychology based master's degree, if your interested.)  The fact that the bley
and dark bley are noticably different than the old colors means that they will
look different in cobination with other colors.  Do they really match that
pallate?  Maybe they do.  I submit that most AFOLs with a ton of old grey and no
color theory experience are unqualified to judge, because they are too used to
the old colors.

Now, the business impact of that statement on Lego is a different matter.  It's
quite possible that they thought it matches, but never considered that AFOLs
wouldn't be able to see it, because they are too used to seeing the old colors.
Bad move, really, on Lego's part, but many of us agree that Lego was making a
bad move here.

-Alfred

When it comes to grey it all seems quite simple to me. Strictly speeking grey is
something that uniformely reflects all the light in a visible range regardless
of a wave length, say it reflects 30% of red, 30% of blue, and 30% of green
falling on it for some darker shade, or 70% of all for a lighter shade. Here on
one end we have black (0%) and on the other end we have white (100%). Anything
that fails to reflect light to equal proportion can't be called grey. The old
grey of Lego is by far closer to true grey than the new one. For this reason the
new grey can be called whatever but grey. Call it stone or bley but we don't
have true grey now. Pity, cause the true grey is quite neutral and is good fit
for almost every other color.
Now imagine a 3D coordinate system with R,G,and B assigned to axis. Let's have 1
for 100% reflection on each axis. At the vertexes of the 1,1,1 cube we will get
Black (0,0,0), White(1,1,1), Red(1,0,0), Green(0,1,0), Blue(0,0,1),
Yellow(1,1,0), and also Cyan and Magenta. The shades of grey will fall onto the
straight line connecting 0,0,0 and 1,1,1. I guess existing red, green, blue and
yellow of Lego come very close to those pure colors. This makes blue perfectly
match yellow etc. If anything can be called universal, those colors (including
true greys) are. Other colors can represent some natural materials such as wood
or stone but they are not that basic as say red or true grey.
Now to explain the yellowish cast on white bricks placed along with the new
"grey". You must be aware of white balance issues with digital cameras when
under different lighting conditions different correction curves have to be
applied to images to compensate for irregulariry of the light. The human
eye/mind tends to automatically adjust to the lighting condition so we don't
have white balance issue to such extent as cameras do. I guess human mind takes
some average color of the scene or takes some basic colors for basis. Now we
know that the white and the true grey are perfect match as they reflect light
uniformely in the whole visual range. Now if we put some small amount of blue
into grey and still take it as a basis for our white balance (pretend that it is
grey) than white becomes short of blue to match the new grey, that is it has
excessive red and green making it look yellowish (r+g=y or w-b=y).
That's how near to grey colors can fool our white balance system.
I bet that one day in future TLC will go back to true grey shades as they are so
fundamental for the color system.