 Color / 1013
Re: Pics from ToyFair 2005
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 06:58:35 GMT

In lugnet.color, Tim David wrote:

I think you are misreading. My impression (from what I read) was that Jorgen
found it dispiriting that however good a model he designed, there would be
people that didn't like it simply because it was bley. Not, as you seem to have
read it, that Jorgen was unhappy that there would upset people whether Lego kept
bley or returned to the original colours.

Entirely possible, although the context of the rest of Larry's message is about
Jorgen being put off by the Lugnet color discussion.  As far as I recall that
discussion has been entirely about the colors themselves, not the designs of the
sets containing the new colors.  If you don't separate those two issues I can
understand why a set designer might be discouraged (and I can certainly
understand why any reader might be disgusted by the tone of some of that
discussion).  But I agree with the post in this thread by Walter Walters that
the two issues are separate.  I personally think 2004 was an excellent year for
set design, and 2005 is looking quite good as well.  The colors turn me off, but
that doesn't detract from my appreciation of the set designs.  In fact the set
design is good enough in some cases that I'll buy the set despite my misgivings
about the colors.  If anything, the color change is encouraging me to pay _more_
attention to appreciating the set design and not just see it as a pile of parts
since I am less likely to buy it for the latter reason.

In any case, thanks, Larry, for the pictures and discussion fodder.

Steve