 Color / 1009
Re: Pics from ToyFair 2005
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:07:46 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.color, Jake McKee wrote:
   Jorgen’s point (that no matter what happens, someone or some group in the community is going to have an issue with it) is a common thread in most of my discussions. For the most part, I think that most colleagues understand (after years of training) that this is simply the way of community. After all, railing on the company is part of the fun, right? :)

As you can imagine, however, this can get frustrating at times. I mean imagine you’ve just spent scores of hours working on a new Death Star design that you think the fans are going to love. You’ve put your heart and soul into it, more than most projects you do during the day, to deliver something really cool to the fans. But the only response you hear is “it’s bley!”.

Thanks for the discussion Jake. It’s certainly true that you can’t please all of the people all of the time. The danger of course is that it’s easy to fall into the trap of dismissing contrary opinions, since “someone will always be dissatified”. I don’t envy the tight-rope walk you need to do each day.

But I want to reiterate what was said in the grandparent post. Exactly who does TLG think would be unhappy with the change back to classic gray? Personally, I really like the new Death Star model, but as soon as I saw it, my heart sank at seeing all that “blay”. If this were 2003, I would be one of the first to order it (as I was with the Star Destroyer). But I just can’t get myself to subscribe to the new blay. The other day, Walmart was clearancing the Spider-man 2 Doc Ock’s Hideout for 85% off; I just couldn’t get myself to buy it. Again, if this set had classic gray (and brown) I would have bought the entire dozen they had.

Here’s a little gedankenexperiment: Suppose the UCS Death Star were available in both classic and new gray, which do you think would sell more?

Clearly, the market for such an expensive model is people with money, ie adults. And certainly AFOLs will make up more than the (supposed) 5% of sales for this particular set. From the AFOL standpoint, it’s a no-brainer: Many more AFOLs would buy this set if it were classic gray. Very few would be unhappy by the change back. Of course, I’m sure there are “corporate”/monetary reasons for not changing back, but the “community” aspect is dominantly in favor of classic gray. This set is marketed to adults; go where the market is and give it what it wants!

I wish I could give TLG my money for this set. I’m impressed with the designer’s hard work and ingenuity. But I can’t get past the blay. I wish I could.

-Walter Walters