 Color / 1011
Re: Pics from ToyFair 2005
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:35:21 GMT

In lugnet.color, Jake McKee wrote:
   Jorgen’s point (that no matter what happens, someone or some group in the community is going to have an issue with it) is a common thread in most of my discussions.

I can see how frustrating it can get. My job involves a lot of that as well, I design web interfaces that have to be useful for absolute noobs (“what’s this clicky thing on a string fer?”) as well as power users... it’s either “too hard” or “not enough features”. I continually get complaints from people who are dazed and confused or can’t figure how to solve their particular problem, but I always have to remind myself of the thirty thousand or so others who seem to have no problems getting through a system I’ve designed. Sometimes it’s hard to hear the satisfied customers over the squeaking wheels.

The difference with my job is, it’s just a job. LEGO is what I’m interested in. I’d have a harder time if I actually cared about my job. ;)

   I mean imagine you’ve just spent scores of hours working on a new Death Star design that you think the fans are going to love. You’ve put your heart and soul into it, more than most projects you do during the day, to deliver something really cool to the fans. But the only response you hear is “it’s bley!”

(My original post wasn’t meant as a criticism, I just wanted to confirm my assumption of which color was used.)

Actually, the response has been really mellow, from what I’ve seen. The potential for negative feedback has not been realized :)

There are two ways of looking at this particular set, IMO:

1. It’s a great design, and much better than a simple sphere would’ve been (booo-ring). It’s an obvious companion piece for thouse proudly displaying their ISD. And in addition, it’s a great starter kit for the new gray pieces.

2. The new color may clash with the old color when the two sets are positioned together; and the people who are most upset about the color change will have a hard time convincing themselves to buy the set, regardless of the design.

To me, I don’t really care about the color as much as the design. The ISD has an advantage in that it’s much more iconic, I think.

I don’t know if I’ll buy it, I’ll want to see more info about it - pricing, dimensions, part count, part types, maybe reviews from people who’ve bought it, finding out if you can hang it somewhere, and so on. But for me, the fact that it’s one gray over another won’t stop me from buying the set if I want it for the design.

If you do get the chance to give any feedback to Jorgen about this set, you can say at least this AFOL was impressed with the design.

Kelly